Caribou Gear

Jumping through Hoops

thomas89

Tried to get a buddy out to chase some ducks here in Washington. Figured it’d be a good introductory hunt. Only to find out Washington is the absolute worst state to recruit a new hunter. Somethings are made tougher because of COVID, some just stupid from the start.

Let’s see:

-mandatory hunters safety AND field day for anyone born after what, 1972? Cool no biggy, ope, field days cancelled because of COVID. No information given on waiving that.

-field day can be waived for military, IF you apply for the program through snail mail...program also slow because of COVID

-mentor program, sure why not, ope, gotta hold a resident license for 3 years first, meet some other nonsensical requirements, etc. and you guessed it, snail mail some BS to the state with your $20 mentor fee.

I get that things need to be planned in advance but it seems a bit excessive. I can’t hold everyone’s hand trying to get them through these programs and I completely understand a newby being overwhelmed by the requirements. This is just to get a license, not even at the point of where am I going yet.

Anyways, gotta go get my panties out of this bunch quick, but what are some hurdles anyone else has encountered introducing people to the sport? What’s a “smooth” state compared to this rodeo?

Surprisingly PA is pretty simple. You can take the hunter safety course entirely online and print your card at the end. That's all you need to get a license. My late friends wife did that last year and got her license this year and is ready to hunt.

A Google search showed Washington is doing virtual "Field Days" during COVID. https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2020-03/covid_website_content_hemain.pdf

Link to virtual field day course.
Interesting, didn’t see much mention on the website in the “hunter education” tab. I’ll pass that along. Thank you!

MA - Total cluster... have to have a license to own a firearm, I'm 7 months in and was told last week it should be another 4 before I get my license. Muzzy doesn't count so you can hunt deer but not ducks with a new hunter 🤷‍♂️ who doesn't have a license.

MT - Ridiculously easy, had a friend from Denmark who was a resident alien. We talked about hunting on a Friday while getting drinks, by the following weekend he had taken hunter's safety and purchased a shotgun.

Tried to get a buddy out to chase some ducks here in Washington. Figured it’d be a good introductory hunt. Only to find out Washington is the absolute worst state to recruit a new hunter. Somethings are made tougher because of COVID, some just stupid from the start.

Let’s see:

-mandatory hunters safety AND field day for anyone born after what, 1972? Cool no biggy, ope, field days cancelled because of COVID. No information given on waiving that.

-field day can be waived for military, IF you apply for the program through snail mail...program also slow because of COVID

-mentor program, sure why not, ope, gotta hold a resident license for 3 years first, meet some other nonsensical requirements, etc. and you guessed it, snail mail some BS to the state with your $20 mentor fee.

I get that things need to be planned in advance but it seems a bit excessive. I can’t hold everyone’s hand trying to get them through these programs and I completely understand a newby being overwhelmed by the requirements. This is just to get a license, not even at the point of where am I going yet.

Anyways, gotta go get my panties out of this bunch quick, but what are some hurdles anyone else has encountered introducing people to the sport? What’s a “smooth” state compared to this rodeo?
Does this help? https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/requirements/education/deferral-program

And all field days are waived. My daughter did it all online this year and got her hunting license.

Does this help? https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/requirements/education/deferral-program

And all field days are waived. My daughter did it all online this year and got her hunting license.
Yes and no. I haven’t been a resident here for three years, so I can’t do it. Had one other in our party that could have done it, but again the snail mail aspect of the application.

They hide the fact that the field days are waived this year really well. Thank you!

Why not just use another state’s hunter safety program?
Looked into this a bit and was ultimately the route we were going to go. Had to find out about reciprocity and all that jazz. Guy got cold feet and I don't really blame him.

After going through all that, Washington still requires species/unit/zone specific tests for hunting. And better not forget your specific harvest cards either once those are finished.

Ultimately is it doable? yes. Do they smash any and all excitement and fill you with a sense of over-regulation, paranoia, and self-doubt? Also yes.

Back