Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Jumped on the Howa wagon

6speed

After vowing for years to never part with my 7mm WSM model 70 I began realizing recently that I rarely shoot it, don't take the time to load up for it and was more attached to the thought of it as an American made Winchester in a now endangered caliber than I was to the gun its self. So I loaded it up and headed to the local gun trader. After a bit of back and forth I left without my Winchester and with a Howa 2 in 1 package in 308 on order. I was told by an old timer a while back while discussing Idaho moose hunting that the key is to buy a new gun for moose hunting before you put in. My wife has been putting in for a few years and I decided getting her a gun couldn't hurt her odds and since this one has 2 stocks its looking like a win win for me. I'll pick it up Tuesday and should have the barrel broken in by Thursday afternoon. Something about buying a new gun gets me all excited. Hopefully she feels the same way.

I hope you like it. I just picked up a Howa 308 hogue combo, but have yet to break it in. I'm looking to change scope and mounts on it soon. Let me know if you find a load yours seems to prefer.

-Dan

Picked it up Wednesday. First impressions out of the box were very good. This is a wife and in a few years kids gun. The gun comes with the short black stock installed, the regular sized green stock, the scope, rings and leupold bases are uninstalled in the box in their original packaging. Having purchased package guns before this is the best way to do it. I can loctite and torque everything down without having to disassemble what someone else did in a hurry to get another gun out the door. The scope is nothing special but compared to the stuff some of the big brands bolt on top of their budget packages I was happy with it. I started the Howa break in with the full size stock and then switched about half way through. Both stocks fit well, were easy to fit to the action and felt solid once installed. Shooting the smaller stock was surprisingly comfortable and didn't make me feel like a long armed giant. I wasn't adjusting the scope while breaking it in but it was printing a fairly accurate tight group as I did the multiple cold bore shots. I hope to get it dialed in on paper this weekend and I'll post up some results when I do.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back