Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

July 4th weekend scouting

Trslabaugh

I'm debating on heading to WY next weekend to do some scouting. I have a 4 day weekend, so it'd give me 2 and half days of scouting. 14 hour drive each way. Am I crazy or is it worth it? Anyone else get out in the hills this early?

What elevation are you scouting? Will the game you are hunting be
there during your target season?Getting out in Az. Ain't gonna happen
110deg. this day. 😎

What elevation are you scouting? Will the game you are hunting be
there during your target season?Getting out in Az. Ain't gonna happen
110deg. this day. 😎

I'd assume they wouldn't be moving much unless water dries up. Area is around 4800' mostly.

Temps look to be in the mid 70's so it'll be better than the humid 90's here also!

Sounds like It's worth a look see!.Mom's birthday July 3rd.,Go Figure.
Have fun, look for sheds.I don't know why.I have sheds and dead heads from the 70's piled up.
Take a camera. 😎

If it's a new to you hunting area that you have a tag in this fall I think it would be worth it to scout just for familiarity of the area. Glassing points, water, camp spots, etc. If you've been there many times and know where you will be hunting anyway this fall I'd save the gas $ and go fishing! (or worst case, take care of the Mrs. and score some points at home) :) I doubt you're gonna spy a buck that will make you change your hunting plans this fall if you've been there many times and have a game plan already.

It'd be worth it if you haven't been to the area before. Scouting public land for critters is tough. If you see them this time of year they may be there during hunting season, but if one hunter goes through there your plan can go to shit. Scouting is useful for getting a lay of the land and figuring out various spots you want to check out during the season. For me, it's really good peace of mind to have some familiarity with the area before the season starts.

It’s always worth it if you put the right attitude towards it. Scouting trips like this don’t just end up as a trip to see animals, in fact that is a rare cherry on top most of the time. They tend to be a confidence builders for your fall excursion. Boosting your knowledge base of country you don’t know much about or even a unit you are familiar with is great for future hunts.

I have already made 2 trips to my elk unit in NM (11 hour drive), which were both only 3 day trips. I have gained so much from those trips I believe to be invaluable. Don’t forget to hang some trail cameras to do scouting while you can’t be there. Good luck!

I am going to be doing the same thing, its going to be the only time I will get to check out the unit in AZ before the elk hunt. I am just going to check out the roads, glassing knobs and potential camp sights. Plus July in the mountains is a lot nicer then the gulf coast.

Thanks guys. I'm headed out tomorrow evening after work. Will probably sleep a few hours in a rest area around Kansas/Colorado line then show up to my hunting area Thursday afternoon.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back