Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

July 2019 ammo restrictions

From what I understand if you’ve purchased a gun within the last 5 yrs you will be able to buy ammo for it with only a $1-$5 background check, if you’re buying ammunition for a gun you haven’t purchased in the last 5 years then it’s a $19-$25 background check.....either way 🤬 this state

Correction: I spoke to the salesman at Sportsmans warehouse yesterday and he told me as long as you’ve purchased a firearm in the last 5 years you’re in the DROS system and you can purchase any ammunition for the $1 background check fee. If you haven’t purchased any firearms within the last 5 years you have to pay $19 for a background check and come back to get your ammunition. Also you will now need a ‘real ID’ to purchase either guns or ammunition.....either way this whole fiasco is a load of 💩

Correction: I spoke to the salesman at Sportsmans warehouse yesterday and he told me as long as you’ve purchased a firearm in the last 5 years you’re in the DROS system and you can purchase any ammunition for the $1 background check fee. If you haven’t purchased any firearms within the last 5 years you have to pay $19 for a background check and come back to get your ammunition. Also you will now need a ‘real ID’ to purchase either guns or ammunition.....either way this whole fiasco is a load of 💩
Hey look on the bright side, it’s an excuse with the wife to buy a new gun every couple of years to save money on ammo.

The Real ID thing sucks for me. I don't have one of the new "Real ID" drivers license or a passport. I will have to take my birth certificate in if and when I buy anything. Waiting in line at DMV for hours and hours to get a real ID is something I have been avoiding but I guess eventually all Ca. residents will have to do it.

The easiest thing for me to do is to wait till the Howa package rifles are released and buy a new 7mm-08 for a grandson to use. I guess that will get me in the system.

They are called agricultural inspection stations. They are supposed to prevent people from bringing in unwanted plants or animals that might have a decease or pest that could be harmful to the Ca agricultural industry. In the real world the percentage of cars stopped is low. The state requires you to fill out an import form for any game animals and turn a copy in at the border crossings. The border crossing are not always open and it seems to me that during really heavy traffic they just wave everyone through. Traveling in a pickup and towing an RV I get stopped more than the average vehicle but there are still times I get waved on. I guess the legislature thinks that these border check stations will keep people from bringing in items like ammo purchased in another state. Like I stated earlier if they don't even ask about the CWD issues when they know I have a deer with me are they going to start asking about ammo??? They may ask people like me who stop to turn in the form since obviously I have been hunting out of state. Who knows I might have purchased a box of ammo somewhere. Talking to the general public at the local shooting range they don't think enough cars will be checked to change anyone's mind who might drive to Nevada to buy ammo and bring it home. Most of my hunting buddies load anyway so they don't see a big change for them.
I drove into the state shortly after moving here with a taxidermy deer head sitting in the passenger seat (I hadn't trusted the movers with it, left it with family till I could pick it up). They looked right at it asked about fruit and veggies, that's it and they let me continue. No form or anything. I watched the vehicle in front of me get several 5 gallon buckets of pecans confiscated, which I found humerous becuase I had turned down my dad's offer of pecans from his trees. Had I known it was gonna be one question and no actual checking, I could've brought quite a bit of GA pecans, ground whitetail, and moonshine! But yeah, if it's not produce, they don't care, at least based off my one time crossing from AZ on I-40. They may be a little more suspicious right after this law goes into effect, but I'm guessing like the good bureaucrats they are, it won't be long before they'll just be asking about fruit again.

Reading my paper this afternoon I found an article that states our governor as well as most gun shops are wrong. The DOJ said there is nothing in the new law that requires the Real ID. A standard Ca. drivers license is good enough to purchase ammo or guns. Both gun shops I talked to have been trained to only accept the Real ID or the other forms of ID like your birth certificate or passport. We shall see how this is handled going forward.

The Real ID thing sucks for me. I don't have one of the new "Real ID" drivers license or a passport. I will have to take my birth certificate in if and when I buy anything. Waiting in line at DMV for hours and hours to get a real ID is something I have been avoiding but I guess eventually all Ca. residents will have to do it.

The easiest thing for me to do is to wait till the Howa package rifles are released and buy a new 7mm-08 for a grandson to use. I guess that will get me in the system.
I’m curious if this is 100% true. There seems to be a gap in licenses that illegals were given licenses and there was no real id. I say this because I can buy a gun with my DL only. Because my license was issued before they gave them to illegals. However my friend got issued a license before they issued real ID and after they issued to illegals. He can’t purchase a gun with out the passport or real id. We purchased our rifles very close together like a month apart so the laws hadn’t changed I that time. Will this transfer too ammo as well? I’m not a lawyer so who knows 🤷‍♂️

I drove into the state shortly after moving here with a taxidermy deer head sitting in the passenger seat (I hadn't trusted the movers with it, left it with family till I could pick it up). They looked right at it asked about fruit and veggies, that's it and they let me continue. No form or anything. I watched the vehicle in front of me get several 5 gallon buckets of pecans confiscated, which I found humerous becuase I had turned down my dad's offer of pecans from his trees. Had I known it was gonna be one question and no actual checking, I could've brought quite a bit of GA pecans, ground whitetail, and moonshine! But yeah, if it's not produce, they don't care, at least based off my one time crossing from AZ on I-40. They may be a little more suspicious right after this law goes into effect, but I'm guessing like the good bureaucrats they are, it won't be long before they'll just be asking about fruit again.
You got lucky, the most interesting encounter I have ever had with the police was picking up a taxidermy mount. The taxidermist called in June a couple years back and said my whitetail shoulder mount was done. I was out and about anyway so I picked it up in my convertible mustang. I buckled it into the back seat. I spent the evening out with my wife and was heading home at about 11:30 with the top down, what do you know I hit a DUI checkpoint. They took one look at the deer head in my car and told me to “please step out of the vehicle” I spent 20 minutes going through sobriety checks and convincing them that a completely sober person could strap a deer head in his car before an officer who hunted came up and talked to me and helped my cause out.

2nd Amendment to U.S. Constitution - A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed; except in the following states - California, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, Washington, etc.

I can report that a hunting buddy went to a store today to buy ammo and test the new system. He just called me to tell me about it. He purchased non toxic shotgun slugs and non toxic 22 ammo. He has recently purchased a shotgun so he is in the system with that gun. He has not purchased a 22 in the last 20 years so there is no record of him owning one. He does not have a Real ID, only a normal drivers license. His background check took about one minute. The store employees said some background checks have taken as long as 10 minutes but most are much faster. Interesting they ask about nationality. Why would that matter??

What I think I learned was you do not have to have a gun registered for every caliber you want to buy ammo for. One gun registered is apparently enough to cover all ammo. You do not need a Real ID or passport. According to the store employees they received the instruction packet from the state on Saturday for the new rules that started today.

I just looked in my hunting folder for receipts for guns that I purchased years ago. I found most of them. My current thought is to go register an older 870 so I will be in the system. This should allow me to purchase ammo if and when I need it. The reason I would register a gun is that is a permanent record. I understand if you do the $20 background check it is only good for 2 years and then you have to do it again. Seems like registering one gun is cheaper and maybe better in the long run. Of course you have to pay the $1 background check fee every time you buy ammo but there is no way around that there is also no limit on quantities of ammo purchased at one time. Just buy large quantities so the $1 is spread out over a lot of rounds.

For those of you that might not know you cannot shoot anything in Ca. with lead. Everything that has a heartbeat must be harvested with non toxic ammo. A gopher in your garden can only be dispatched with non toxic ammo. You can still shoot targets with lead but I would bet that won't last too many more years.

I can report that a hunting buddy went to a store today to buy ammo and test the new system. He just called me to tell me about it. He purchased non toxic shotgun slugs and non toxic 22 ammo. He has recently purchased a shotgun so he is in the system with that gun. He has not purchased a 22 in the last 20 years so there is no record of him owning one. He does not have a Real ID, only a normal drivers license. His background check took about one minute. The store employees said some background checks have taken as long as 10 minutes but most are much faster. Interesting they ask about nationality. Why would that matter??

What I think I learned was you do not have to have a gun registered for every caliber you want to buy ammo for. One gun registered is apparently enough to cover all ammo. You do not need a Real ID or passport. According to the store employees they received the instruction packet from the state on Saturday for the new rules that started today.

I just looked in my hunting folder for receipts for guns that I purchased years ago. I found most of them. My current thought is to go register an older 870 so I will be in the system. This should allow me to purchase ammo if and when I need it. The reason I would register a gun is that is a permanent record. I understand if you do the $20 background check it is only good for 2 years and then you have to do it again. Seems like registering one gun is cheaper and maybe better in the long run. Of course you have to pay the $1 background check fee every time you buy ammo but there is no way around that there is also no limit on quantities of ammo purchased at one time. Just buy large quantities so the $1 is spread out over a lot of rounds.
In a conspiracy thought process, the government now knows he has a 22. And, when they come to collect all guns, he'll pay hell if he cant produce one. IMO, Just for argument and something to think about.

For those of you that might not know you cannot shoot anything in Ca. with lead. Everything that has a heartbeat must be harvested with non toxic ammo. A gopher in your garden can only be dispatched with non toxic ammo. You can still shoot targets with lead but I would bet that won't last too many more years.
Our local skeet range at our shooting club just got shut down by epa because there is an old pond that holds water from time to time after heavy rains about 400+ yards from where we shoot skeet. When they were asked why we couldn't start using steel loads their response was "we don't have a way to enforce and insure you guys are using non toxic ammo." If the waterfowlers can be trusted, why not us too? Our state just keeps getting worse and worse.

My understanding is that all 50 states will require the Real ID by Oct 2020 if you want to board a plane or enter a federal facility.The exception is if you have a passport, but who wants to carry a passport to board a domestic flight. Last year my brother in Hawaii showed me his HI real ID.

My understanding is that all 50 states will require the Real ID by Oct 2020 if you want to board a plane or enter a federal facility.The exception is if you have a passport, but who wants to carry a passport to board a domestic flight. Last year my brother in Hawaii showed me his HI real ID.

I have not been on an airplane in about 5 years and at over 65 years of age I have no plans to fly anywhere ever again. I don't work on federal facilities anymore so I don't need it for that. I know eventually every one will probably have to do it but for now I will just get by with my normal drivers license.

NYS passed the unSafe Act some years back by Emperor Cuomo. A provision called for a background check EVERY time ammo was purchased. Our State Police, being plagued to create an enforcement tool to accomplish this, told the Emperor that there was no way to accomplish this. Most gun places would likely have dropped their FFL's rather than comply with this. So far, we're doing Ok on this provision.

Other atrocities included in the Act were:
- Background check for ALL private firearm transfers;
- Cannot buy ammo through the mail or online anymore (this may be happening though);
- Defined an "Assault Weapon" as a semi automatic that has a detachable magazine and one other feature that required registration with the State Police including-
+ protruding pistol grip;
+ flash hider or muzzle brake;
+ vertical fore grip;
+ cannot have an attached light or laser.
(By the way, of the estimated million registerable guns, only twenty thousand or so were ever registered. NYS resisted Freedom of Information requests for a long time before the lack of compliance was released.)

So, I had to a) cut muzzle brakes off a 22 Ruger and a RRA 6.8 SPC (both were permanently attached); b) purchase Thordsen stocks for each of them to get around the "protruding pistol grip BS.

We can buy brass, powder, etc. via online or mail order Ok - at least so far.... Bills are afloat to require every gun owner to have a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy. It hasn't passed so far....

In an Outdoor Life article a year or so back, NYS was listed as the #1 worst state in the USA for being gun unfriendly. Commiefornia and Massafornia were #2 & #3.

I feel your pain and wish you the best. Many not so great ideas come from the opposite coasts. Lets hope your latest doesn't crawl East; nor ours crawl West....

It is all over the news this morning about how well the new ammo check law is working. Apparently about 100 people were denied ammo in the first month. The stores I have talked to say that the only ones that they have had to turn away were people who did not have the correct address in the system or who have some other paper work type mistake. They were not criminals just people who haven't jumped through the correct hoop yet. The news makes it sound like everyone who was turned away was a felon.
If I tried to buy ammo right now I would get denied as would about half the law abiding hunters I know. I haven't registered a gun yet so I am not able to buy ammo.

Just curious if any of our California forum members who went hunting this year our of state had any problems with ammo when they returned back to California?

We’re in a dead heat for last place🤢
Worldwide you don't have anything on us in the UK!
I can buy calibre specific rounds only with my certificate, but rules changed recently in that I can buy bullets for reloading without my certificate, but I can't buy the primers/powder without my certificate!
I can see things starting to change in NZ as well after recent events @Kiwi @kiwi hunter can chip in
Cheers
Richard

As far as I mn
Worldwide you don't have anything on us in the UK!
I can buy calibre specific rounds only with my certificate, but rules changed recently in that I can buy bullets for reloading without my certificate, but I can't buy the primers/powder without my certificate!
I can see things starting to change in NZ as well after recent events @Kiwi @kiwi hunter can chip in
Cheers
Richard
As far as I know we can buy any ammo with our firearms licence. We do have different categories of licence (‘standard’ hunting caliber, pistols, semi-autos) and if you have the right licence you can buy the ammo. They are planning to mess with the current system including a register which I guess will mean we have register as prerequisite to buying ammo.

As far as I mn

As far as I know we can buy any ammo with our firearms licence. We do have different categories of licence (‘standard’ hunting caliber, pistols, semi-autos) and if you have the right licence you can buy the ammo. They are planning to mess with the current system including a register which I guess will mean we have register as prerequisite to buying ammo.
I thought they had banned semi auto's, with the exception of .22's?
Cheers
Richard

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back