Jet Boil new for me

My experience with a JB fuel usage after many 10-12 day trips. A 110g canister lasts me 8 days, heating water for coffee/oatmeal and a MH for dinner. Cooking food will use a little more, but not much because it's not on full blast.

Also keep the fuel canister warm at night if it's near freezing the fuel will separate and you'll burn off one gas before the other, and the second half of your canister will have much less BTU. I will put mine in the foot of my sleeping bag of it's really cold. Placing the canister in a shallow pan of water also helps when it's cold and you forgot to keep it warm.

Just make sure you get the JetPower canisters. JetBoils are compatible with other canisters but in my experience they won't heat the water as quickly. My friend always brings the cheapo canisters and they take FOREVER, whereas I stick a JetPower canister on there and my water is boiling inside of 2 minutes.

I buy the small and large canisters to have on hand. If my big canister feels on the low side, I'll throw a smaller one in there as backup in case I run out of fuel. They don't take up a huge amount of space or weight, and better safe than sorry.

Doesn’t matter, according to you any company employing a majority of 20-30 year olds is anti-hunting.
You didn't look up SC Johnson did you?

You might see where they are located and the demographic of their employ in regards to that. You might also want to check out the difference in an REI store and a Sportsmans warehouse. In Bozeman, they are next to each other and there is a distinct difference in the shopper at each location. Jet boil appeals more to the back packing crowd than hunters.

Things aren't as simple as you make it out to be. I didn't say all 20-30 year olds are anti-hunting, you made that analogy.

Furthermore, I took Hunter Ed 2 times, once in 1963 and again in 1965. When I was a kid, baseball cards guns and outdoors were what most kids were interested in and most of the boys were anxious to go hunting. I taught Hunter Ed for over 25 years from 1985-2012 and there was an obvious difference in the students and their interest in hunting. By the time I quit teaching Huntert Ed, there was about 25-30% of the students that were adults. We were losing enrollment of youth. Once it went to internet classes, I no longer participated, but it is clear that younger people have more interests than hunting.

I dunno fellas, I heard the Jetboil employees are all actually radical leftist porpise-worshippers planning to use the proceeds of their wildly popular products to overthrow the government of some small island nation and establish a "utopian" society where everyone has no gender, is under the age of 35, and only eats mushy tofu every day (except for fish taco night, on the first Tuesday of every month).

Despite that, I love my Jetboil Stash for backpacking (even while hunting!). One downside the lid doesn't always stay on well when its all packed up. I have used the stove portion to fry fish in a pan, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Posts #4, #12, and #22 have the best advice on here, per my experience with the cooking system.

Those collapsible X-Cups made by Sea to Summit (probably also a bunch of commies) are great for measuring water for your dehydrated meals and drinking coffee from. Their collapsed diameter packs well on top of a Jetboil.

You didn't look up SC Johnson did you?

You might see where they are located and the demographic of their employ in regards to that. You might also want to check out the difference in an REI store and a Sportsmans warehouse. In Bozeman, they are next to each other and there is a distinct difference in the shopper at each location. Jet boil appeals more to the back packing crowd than hunters.

Things aren't as simple as you make it out to be. I didn't say all 20-30 year olds are anti-hunting, you made that analogy.

Furthermore, I took Hunter Ed 2 times, once in 1963 and again in 1965. When I was a kid, baseball cards guns and outdoors were what most kids were interested in and most of the boys were anxious to go hunting. I taught Hunter Ed for over 25 years from 1985-2012 and there was an obvious difference in the students and their interest in hunting. By the time I quit teaching Huntert Ed, there was about 25-30% of the students that were adults. We were losing enrollment of youth. Once it went to internet classes, I no longer participated, but it is clear that younger people have more interests than hunting.
It took you two tries to pass hunter Ed?

I have had two jetboils and only use to boil water. I have the adapter for a pan but haven't had to usue it. As far as fuel, I carry several canisters but only 1 at a time in my pack, they seem to last for several boils.

Just picked up a Jet Boil. Been using one of those metal adapters that screw onto a 1 lb propane bottle for coffee or a regular camp stove. Plan to start using dehydrated food (Mtn House) for the first time as well. For those that run JBs, do you usually take more than one can of fuel for a weekend of camping? Also, anyone use it to cook food in a pan or mainly just boiling water? Thanks
I just bought one, too. The nutritional value of the dehydrated food scares me. There is so much sodium, cholesterol, and little nutritional value, that I plan to create my own dehydrated food or cook while in the mountains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back