Javelina

BrentD

Why do I never hear of javelina hunting in New Mexico? They are in West Texas, and all of AZ of course, NM must have them, but I don't recall ever seeing any.

More to the point, if two guys with zero points anywhere wanted to got Javelina hunting this winter, which state is the best bet for nonresidents? I'm thinking AZ, but I really don't know.

Az. Lots of leftover tags every year,and this year is no exception.
Call AZGF @ 602-942-3000 or check out Maps at azgfd.com/hunting/maps.
Also azgf.gov PM me if you have questions. :cool:

Reactions: LCH
Arizona is the best choice to get a javelina or two. New Mexico draw has already happened for this year and they charge like 60 bucks more then AZ for a tag. Texas you pretty much have to hunt on private property but there are some draw permits for public land hunting. Their draw is currently open. Low draw odds even for javelina.
Arizona draw for spring javelina in 2020 will be available mid September and even with zero points there shouldnt be a problem getting a tag or two for javelina. You can get one tag during the draw and other one once the leftover list comes out, just have to be different hunt codes. Archery is the funnest way to hunt them in my opinion and during January duck, dove and quail seasons are still open along with OTC archery deer. They also have a muzzleloader and rifle season.

Thank you guys. I will begin learning Arizona. I lived there 27 yrs ago, but things change. Left before I could chase javelina.

Not sure where I'll go, maybe some old stomping grounds like the west side of Gallijuros (sp) and Winchesters. I liked that country years ago.

One of the biggest changes is all the ATV's and Jeep Tours.Totally ruined my
hunting area in 2yrs.They don't stay on the trails or roads,they drive up the washes and cross country
on sidehills.Try to find one of your old spots away from people an you should do well.Good Luck!

Heck Brent I didn't see your name until after I wrote my piece! You know
he skinny,Expect a Lot of People! :cool:

One of the biggest changes is all the ATV's and Jeep Tours.Totally ruined my
hunting area in 2yrs.They don't stay on the trails or roads,they drive up the washes and cross country
on sidehills.Try to find one of your old spots away from people an you should do well.Good Luck!

Heck Brent I didn't see your name until after I wrote my piece! You know
he skinny,Expect a Lot of People! :cool:

I understand your frustration.My Honey Hole is now a Tourist trap for Picketpost Mtn.
Jeep Tours.I saw Jeeps with Old ladies and thier Mini-Poodles doing turn arounds on my
1 way loop in front of my camp.Jeeps fully loaded with coolers so they could have a nice
lunch in the scenic Az. Desert.Then they went" 4 wheeling" right down the middle
of creek beds.I walked by a group,and one of he guys says-I guess we ruined your
hunt?It was all I could do o not gut him on the spot!I just said,I give up...
Moved camp way back in to no mans land and finally turned up Pigs.
My Honey Hole is now a Shite Hole! :cool:

Sounds depressing dirtclod. Watching AZ being destroyed a little bit more every day made leaving in 1991 so much easier. A beautiful place going downhill fast.

Sounds depressing dirtclod. Watching AZ being destroyed a little bit more every day made leaving in 1991 so much easier. A beautiful place going downhill fast.

Your right,gone are the days when you could go to the lake back your truck
in and drop the tailgate and fish with a cool one in your hand. :cool:

Your right,gone are the days when you could go to the lake back your truck
in and drop the tailgate and fish with a cool one in your hand. :cool:

so sad )-: )-: And you want me to come home to the HEAT and old ladies with their poodles ???

Brent, the Javelina are there however and a fun hunt if you own a modern day lever action rifle (-: But Coues hunting would be fun with one of those magnificent rifles of yours and you can also find them in Az---plus cougar hunting. turkey, and magnificent Elk, especially on the Indian land. Just trying to help (-:

so sad )-: )-: And you want me to come home to the HEAT and old ladies with their poodles ???

Brent, the Javelina are there however and a fun hunt if you own a modern day lever action rifle (-: But Coues hunting would be fun with one of those magnificent rifles of yours and you can also find them in Az---plus cougar hunting. turkey, and magnificent Elk, especially on the Indian land. Just trying to help (-:

Poodles aren't all bad...Iffn' you cook em' right!Ha!,Ha! :cool:

My favorite javelina rifle is my Marlin 1894 in .357 magnum. A bow is more fun though. I just found out today that I didn't get drawn for any of the Texas public land javelina hunts. Bummer.

Why do I never hear of javelina hunting in New Mexico? They are in West Texas, and all of AZ of course, NM must have them, but I don't recall ever seeing any.

More to the point, if two guys with zero points anywhere wanted to got Javelina hunting this winter, which state is the best bet for nonresidents? I'm thinking AZ, but I really don't know.
NM has an OTC tag for Javelina but they restrict the units for OTC tags and the better units are for the Draw hunts, General license and tag fee would run about $230.00 for non- resident, This will be my first year with an OTC. Arizona has way more habitat then NM and an OTC in Arizona is probably about 30 dollars more. I honestly think you would be better in AZ.

Ive hunted javelina in AZ, NM and west Texas. IMO, AZ offers has some of the best habitat and good numbers of javelina.

NM now has OTC javelina tags.

You may find some affordable hunts at private ranches in west Texas. Lemme know if you have any questions.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back