Caribou Gear Tarp

Javalina scent gland - where?

Coyboy

I'm going on a pig hunt tomorrow and have been told that there is a scent gland that must be removed before beginning to field dress. Can anyone amplify on this? i.e. location, description, how to do it?

------------------
I am FOR Gun Control: Steady the Aim & Squeeeeeze the Trigger!

Up from the tail top of the hips mid line of the back. Follow your nose and you will find it. Cut around it like you were going to scalp the thing and make a fair wide circle. Maybe 2 inches around. Wash off your knife good before you go to skinning and gutting.
BCR

------------------
A .45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERY TIME

If you are carefull when you skin it and dont cut it,it comes off with the skin.

------------------
Good Luck
The Greek

popeye_brut.gif

I've heard two different stories on javelina... either they're delicious or they are the worst tasting thing on earth. Which is it? Any secrets to preparing them, other than the scent gland thing?

The only way I have any experience with javelina is barbequed (good) and made into dry sausage (better). The guy that barbequed one in camp put onions and kept basting it with butter and it came out good. Almost anything is good as a dry sausage to me. I know people that won't gut them because of the stink, but it hasn't been a problem for me to gut them. They loose the ribs and little tenderloins but quarter the hind legs, backstrap, and shoulders. Jackrabbits are what I have trouble eating, I stopped shooting them.

As is usual with any wild game young is better than old and female is better than male. How ever you decide to cook them the meat needs moisture. You can't use the usual pork recipes. Cook it like you would venison but I wouldn't try to fry it.
BCR

------------------
A .45 BEATS 4 ACES EVERY TIME

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back