Jan Coues hunt in Arizona

Guy5858

Looking at a Jan coues hunt in central AZ. How are these hunts typically in terms of safety, physical difficulty, difficulty of hunt (archery)? Wondering if I should be considering this or an elk hunt for a western trip. Don't want to bite off too much on this trip so was considering trying otc coues before saving points for elk in future.

Thanks

Randy's done some hunts and has videos; I believe the latest is Season 7, episode 5 or 6

If by difficult, you mean your odds of killing one, it’s pretty hard. But jus taking the hunt and having fun isn’t that hard.

Archery Coues deer hunting in Arizona is almost impossible. It's extremely difficult to locate bucks. Trying to get into archery range is the next hurdle. Typically, the weather is perfect for being outdoors. The terrain is rugged but mostly it's a short walk up to a spotting point and sitting all day.

I would disagree that finding bucks is hard. Pick a unit with good deer numbers (most have great numbers) and good public access and you’ll find deer. Getting with in bow range is much harder than you think. The entire state seems to be made of small rocks (gravel like) and is loud to walk on.

But chasing deer In January in Arizona is full. Not nearly as physically challenging as most elk hunts

The cool thing about the AZ deer tag is that it is good for either a mule deer or coues. So if your going after coues and see a nice muley you can take him.

Safety? Very safe in central AZ.
Physical difficulty? Not hard.
Difficulty of hunt? Tagging a Coues...extremely but certainly not impossible.

You can also bring a shotgun and hunt quail or jump ponds for waterfowl. Additionally, apply for a javelina tag or pick up a leftover in the unit you wish to hunt. If you see a muley you can choose to chase those as well. It's a great hunt, one of my favorites every year.

I agree with high rise, I wouldnt worry about the safety aspect if you are hunting north of I-10. The physical difficulty is all on you. You can hunt the flats which is easy walking or hike into the mountains which can be difficult. Tagging a coues deer with archery tackle is plenty hard enough, some people get lucky their first time but it is a challenging hunt. That is why the tags are OTC. If you going to hunt them in Jan, I would get a Javelina tag in the unit you are thinking about hunting. They are fun to hunt and taste great, unlike what people say. Allows you to hunt more then one species with your bow in Jan.

You might be able to scout out a potential elk unit if you try hunting mule deer OTC. Like others said, difficulty of the hunt depends on the terrain you choose.

You will see deer. Killing one with a bow is very tough to pull off. Some of the best success is from guys who know the area and sit in pop up blinds. See if there is pig tags while you are there, your odds of killing those is far greater.

Central Az.more Mule Deer than Coues,but they are there.As noted before,Javelina and Quail are an added bonus!:cool:

Low success, especially if your picky however it’s simple hunt to pull off logistic wise.

One of the lowest success rate hunts you can go on. Coues have to be the hardest animal to stalk to bow range.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back