Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Jaguars in the Southwest

DuckKing1988

Have you guys read about this possible reintroduction? Looks like they are talking about reintroducing 110-150 of the big kittys. Seems pretty crazy to me.

Here's the article I was reading about it.

Looks like they are talking about reintroducing 110-150 of the big kittys. Seems pretty crazy to me.
Maybe I missed it in the paper, but what I saw in Section 2.3 was that they think the Central Arizona/New Mexico Reintroduction Area(CANRA) can only support 69-106 adult jaguars.

I, for one, am all for a limited reintroduction as an experimental population in southern Az. I've been hoping to see one out here for years. If done correctly future generations may even be able to hunt them.
For context though, I believe but may be misremembering, Jim Heffelfinger has said on a podcast that there is no evidence of a historical resident population in central Arizona.

This seems like more of a proposal than an initiative that's actually moving forward.

Jaguars are cool, but I think they overstate the historical presence of jaguars in AZ and NM.

Also, at this time, feels like pronghorn, desert sheep and Mexican wolves deserve more attention in those areas than a species with a much more tenuous relationship with that landscape historically speaking.

Maybe I missed it in the paper, but what I saw in Section 2.3 was that they think the Central Arizona/New Mexico Reintroduction Area(CANRA) can only support 69-106 adult jaguars.

I, for one, am all for a limited reintroduction as an experimental population in southern Az. I've been hoping to see one out here for years. If done correctly future generations may even be able to hunt them.
For context though, I believe but may be misremembering, Jim Heffelfinger has said on a podcast that there is no evidence of a historical resident population in central Arizona.
Check out the book: "MAN and Wildlife IN ARIZONA"
by Goode P Davis,Jr.-There absolutely is proof of Jaguars inhabiting
portions of Az. for quite a while. 1824-1865 💥
Where are they gonna get that many Jaguars, clone them?

Back