Caribou Gear Tarp

J107 vs Crewcab

I have never used the Eberlestock, but I have a MR Crewcab and love it! It is great because I can expand it enough to carry all my supplies for a long wilderness hunt, yet I can compact it down once I am there for use as a day pack.

I have both, well the J105. No critters on the CC yet (only the Longbow). Really like the Eberle, but if I could only have one, the CC would be it.

http://www.kifaru.net/timberline.html

Don't rule out the T2. I know, I am the oddball on here who likes Kifaru. If you are set on the CC look at the EMR frame with the Cargo Panel. More versatile, IMHO than even the crew cab. You can eve put a MR bag on it if you want........

sreekers, I can't compare the kifaru since I have never tried it. Obviously lots of folks like it. You mentioned it is more versatile. Have you had both on your back?

I have owned about a dozen packs from Dana Gleason since 1978, still have several and my first is still going. I have had lots of other packs, however, not an Eberlestock, but, have examined them belonging to friends and in local stores.

I had a fully rigged Kifaru Longhunter Rendevous and also a Siwash, sold them both because I found them not up to Kifaru's claims, not capable of comfortably hauling the loads that my MR packs such as my two NICE rigs handle with ease and I had some QC issues.

All in all, with the exception of a full custom and costly pack from Dan McHale, my next gear purchase, I find DD-Bozo made and MR packs to be the best for heavy loads I have ever used. At 65, I can still train with an honest 100 lbs, as I will later today, with the MR NICE packs and even 70 was uncomfortable on the same trail with my Kifarus. But, some find the opposite, just to keep things simple, eh? :)

Anyone have any hands on experience with the Kuiu packs?

Their 6,000 inch size only weighs 5.5lbs, 3lbs less than the MR.

Since I can break anything I touch I went with the Blacks Creek Canadian. It has a ton of pockets on the inside and expands to fit a whole elk hind quarter. You can also strap onto the outside or mash it down to your back with the cross strap system. Fits rifle or a bow for hands free hiking/climbing.

Almost too big sometimes I tend to take too much crap cause I can, just a little self restraint would be useful here....

Packed out 2 elk so far, nothing broken-yet.

kutennay- Got any pics of you using these packs to haul these monster loads? Must be lots of big dead critters if you found a Kifaru's hauling capabilities coming up short...

I have the eberlestock blue widow which is like the dragonfly without the gun scaboard I liked that because i can add the tactical scaboard to the pack since my rifle has a bipod and large tactical scope. I hauled out several animals with it this fall and it worked amazing. It has an additional load strap to help distriput the load. i love the pack and am getting another one this year for the people coming along on a few of my trips to borrow.

kutennay- Got any pics of you using these packs to haul these monster loads? Must be lots of big dead critters if you found a Kifaru's hauling capabilities coming up short...

His reality is different than ours Pointer... He lives in the 'wilds' of BC where only he and bigfoot can survive. I'm 100% convinced that his 'usual' time in the woods is mostly spent on the internet dreaming about gear and critiquing others gear choices. What he always fails to expound when he gives advice is that he's 5'-6" and 250lbs... and older than dirt. How far do you 'spose he could pack 100lbs? Across his lawn?

That guy is more full of himself than anyone else on the internet, not to mention his racism makes Hitler look like a nice guy.

The Kifaru Longhunter I had was OK to 70 lbs, and I used it on one trip in the West Kootenays in 2006 and another that year in the Boundary area of southern BC, I just found that I had to walk too stooped over to balance it and it always felt as though it was sliding down.

So, I bought my NICE packs and I just started with 50 lbs, today to get back into reasonable shape for my 65 years as my wife has been disabled with a spinal problem for two years, so, I have been kept at home with that. I do not know how to post pix here, but, am going to have a friend walk me through it as soon as he can come over and figure out my wife's computer for me.

I think that most understand that all packs as with boots and even sleeping bags fit different body types more or less efficiently and comfortably...I am 5-8 and run around 200 lbs in good shape, and I can pack a 100 lb, pack, slowly, in the mountains. It is not as easy as when I was your age, but, not everyone is a total wreck in their 60s. Maybe, next week as I would like to post some pix for those who will never see the hunting we have in BC and might enjoy such photos.

Oh, wait, I just figured out who you are, that young guy from Kifaru.net who might post a few pics. of his own and we can "compare" girths, etc. No offence, "Pointer", I actually think that you are a decent young guy and we just got off on a wrong tack, but, the fact is that even EdT has exactly the same issues I had with the Gen.1 Longhunter and we corresponded quite a bit concerning this on another forum, not Kifaru.net. If, you are cheerfully packing big loads and highballing up the mountains near your home, great, it sure helps we short, stocky and slow-metabolism guys to get in shape, eh? :)

Last edited:
I have a blue widow by Eberlestock and really like it.I would like to try a CC on a nice frame though.Just too bad they can't be found in any stores.Thats one thing that makes me hesitate about investing in one.Alot of money for something I may not like

The good thing about MR is that they have the best customer service that I have ever experienced and would refund your purchase price if you tried the NICE and did not like it. I recently sold my CC, kept the frame and am buying a Wolf Pack Alpha and that will be my pack for grouse and deer hunting, usually with a combo gun.

MR packs are "heavy" but, I just sold one after three years of use that I bought from a chap who used it in Alaska and it was about 20 years old and still in excellent shape, they are built to last and so I consider the weight worth carrying....although, I do wish I was in my 30s, again and could boogie up the mountains as I could then and my large and muscular nephew still can....."old age" is hell, but, the alternative is not very enticing, either! :)

Wasn't aware of their return policy.I thought they were pretty custom fit.Something for me to think about,and maybe hide from my wife,lol

kutenay- Yep that's me and I am older and fatter than when I posted at that forum. I have a Longhunter Guide and haven't reached the point where it is the weak link in my ability to pack weight. I am definitely the one with the shortcomings... But, it may fit me better than you, which appears to be the case.

What do you guys think is better for hauling loads the cc or the 6500, i was thinkg about the 6500 just because you can pack anilmal out along with camp

What do you guys think is better for hauling loads the cc or the 6500, i was thinkg about the 6500 just because you can pack anilmal out along with camp

If you are doing multiple overnighters I'm more of the fan of the 6500. Your right that you can haul more of camp and animal out with it. The reality is that you're probably going to be making a second trip anyway. My beef with the crew cab is that your extra jackets or gear gets soaked if it's raining or snowing. I like the fact with the 6500 you can stuff your gear in a bag at least.
With that said I wouldn't day hunt with my 6500 it's just too big. This is were the crew cab shines because if you do get an animal you can take out a "true" load unlike most day pack types. I know you can buy load cells and all that and I'm sure that it would help with the overnighters and carrying your equipment and I know people do it all the time.

Last edited:
Everyone-

Thanks for the input. I use a Kifaru assault pack for work and love it.

My current load plan when I leave a trailhead with my J107 is to load my spike duffel (lined with a waterproof bag, ussually just a contractor grade garbage bag). with my camp/food/gear which I slide into the main compartment, so when I get to camp and want to empty my pack I don't have a huge mess in my tent and keep things a little more organized or hoist it up in a tree (if neccessary). It would also allow me to zip the spike duffle onto the back of my pack and put a boned out muley or an elk quarter in the main compartment when I come back out to the truck. I realize it is likely that I would have to take multiple trips with an elk, but if I can consolidate two trips out into one (IE just the head and cape is left to pack out, I could probably get camp out with it).

I assume I can replicate this concept with the CC or Kifaru Cargo Panel. I really like the idea of the load cells MR has to go with the CC, does anyone use these? I am guessing I could also just load my spike duffle and strap that in too to save some $.

I think I lean towards the the more mudular concpet because of my military experience, and being frustrated with the inconvienience of our large rucksacks for sustained movement, and then when you reach your patrol base (roughly translates to spike camp) you are stuck with a big pack unless you strap an assult pack onto your ruck; which is already way to heavy. I really wish the Army would adopt a pack system like the J107, CC, or Kif Cargo Panel, but that really isn't likely.

Thanks

Ross

Anyone have any hands on experience with the Kuiu packs?

Their 6,000 inch size only weighs 5.5lbs, 3lbs less than the MR.

I have one but I just got it and have not had any load in it yet. It is very adjustable and does fit my long torso. It has plenty of volume for a week long trip. It has plenty of pockets which I like. It has an almost daunting amount of straps but they make it very flexible and compressible. It can easily be compressed for daypack use. The belt is tightened against the back of the belt and not the buckle which is a nice feature.

I have read that about 80 pounds is the comfort level which I can't confirm but I will say it is weird picking up something so light and thinking you are getting 80 pounds in it. I have also read that the Carbon Fiber frame could be susceptible to sharp narrow pressure from rocks and such. I would tend to agree with this.

Overall the quality and construction seems very good.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back