It's a 'Ruff" life........

Elkwhisper

When our now adult daughter moved out last year and took "her" labrador with her, Mama insisted we get a new puppy. After much arm twisting and convincing.....I finally conceded. Enter Mr. Mac Daddy French.

For Mama it was love at first sight!

Attachments

• 20230529_175736.jpg
    20230529_175736.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 40
As fall approached I kinda wanna see what the little feller was made of.... so we started a super intense regiment of back yard fetch. Yup...that's the extent of his official hunt training. But what he lacked in practice he made up for in enthusiasm.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1698374190651.jpg
    FB_IMG_1698374190651.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
We started off labor day weekend with a few doves .. followed soon by huns. And much to my surprise he was a natural. He did a great job of delivering to hand and even chasing down cripples.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1698374302736.jpg
    FB_IMG_1698374302736.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 4194.jpeg
    4194.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
October brought ducks....and a new challenge! Water retrieves.

We started slow with jump shooting stock ponds....and holy crap...the kid gets it! He was supermanning into the deep blue before the first bird splashed down. And to top it off his first duck hunt started with a double

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1698374565852.jpg
    FB_IMG_1698374565852.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
And today we knocked off another mile stone.... we tackled the deep, cold and fast waters of the Mighty MO for our first Greenhead of the year!! Water was moving faster than I expected.... and I am sure it was colder than he expected.... but damned if he didn't dive in there and chase that thing 90 yards down stream and bring it right back to me and then start looking at the sky waiting for the next one.... not bad for his 7 month birthday.

Attachments

• 7624.jpeg
    7624.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Couldn't wait till after work.... had to sneak out for a couple hours at dawn.

Quite the mixes bag thus morning.
Hold up- bobwhite? How’s the lab do with working those? How did you train it? Highly interested in that, having recently gotten a place to chase them with my dad’s 8-year-old yellow.

Hold up- bobwhite? How’s the lab do with working those? How did you train it? Highly interested in that, having recently gotten a place to chase them with my dad’s 8-year-old yellow.
No quail in MT.. at not a s a native game bird. Probably looking at one of the sharptail grouse. That we have plenty of. Would have been zero issue filling limits daily on those.... bit as table fair they are ok at best so try to limit the take.

No quail in MT.. at not a s a native game bird. Probably looking at one of the sharptail grouse. That we have plenty of. Would have been zero issue filling limits daily on those.... bit as table fair they are ok at best so try to limit the take.
I am- saw the face of the one and thought it was a hen bobwhite. Too much beer. 😅

I love chasing them, but I’m terrible at it. Have tried several times, only have a handful of them to show for it. I think they’re tasty, though- just darker than ruffed grouse.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back