It took almost 60 years but it happened.

Just did the “yank it out backwards “ trick on a treble hook that was in my thumb right behind the knuckle.

I had the wife do the yanking and I told her not to mess around when she pulled. POP it was out and we fished for another 3 hours.

The only issue I have is the top of my thumb is still numb (2 weeks) so I am guessing I clipped a nerve??

When I was about 13 I was fishing the Bighorn with my dad on a windy day and I stuck my shoulder with a heavy weighted streamer at about 90 mph. It was way too deep to push through, so he employed the push and yank strategy with a leatherman.

I wouldn’t be surprised if people in Saint X still wonder what kind of creature they heard howling on the river that day.

Anything but the eye and these make for hilarious stories. I appreciate them all.
I managed to get a big salmon plug in the eye while pulling lines one night. Right through eye lid and up into the eye socket into the bone above my eye. Nothing like showing up to the ER with a big boat on the back of your truck.

The line method others have mentioned is money. I’ve pulled half a dozen or so treble hooks out of folks while bass fishing over the years. It’s nearly painless if done properly. Braided line works best due to it having zero stretch.

My morning routine while folks are coming aboard is to pick on those with hang overs, make sure they have their fishing license and I never leave the dock if they aren’t wearing some form of eye-pro.

We did a guided fly trip in Florida back in May. Capt. Ken, our guide, told me he was poling a hung-over guy around one day who kept casting into the zone that put his backcast uncomfortably close to Ken's legs on the platform, and Ken kept telling him to wait until he could turn the boat before casting to the right. The guy didn't listen and finally sunk a 1/0 tarpon fly into the back of Ken's knee, past the barb, apparently it almost came to blows...

2016 Montana General Archery. I was dressing a cow when the knife found its way in my leg. The knife was a Gerber lock blade with gut hook. Man that really hurt. 2 miles to truck and 1.5 hour ride for stitches. Good buddies finished breaking cow down and getting her out.
You win sir! And you have my sympathies.

Another vote for Timberman's method, I've used it once on my brother and once on me and it worked great, both times fairly large hooks. Trick is to use heavy line and do it quick! And pull from the direction it went in.

When my son was little he got a hook in his arm and I did the "poke thru and cut barb" method, it sure looked a lot more painful. It was a big hook and it was not super sharp so it was not easy doing the "poke thru" part. I guess if you had a small sharp hook the poke thru method might be acceptable, but I'll use method pictured here if I ever need it again.

View attachment 188526
Yup thats the method.... not pushing through

My morning routine while folks are coming aboard is to pick on those with hang overs, make sure they have their fishing license and I never leave the dock if they aren’t wearing some form of eye-pro.
Yep. I helped out on the charters in Port Angeles when I was a ranger there back in the 80s. Saw a lot of that foolishness. How stupid is it to get tanked the night before going out on a charter boat! I have incredible sea legs but always smart enough to know going into the swells with a hangover or half in the bag was a recipe for disaster. Besides stupid, it's very inconsiderate. Just as well shove the boozer's face in a bait bucket before leaving the dock and get the barfing over with so other people aren't wading in the goo while they're trying to fish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back