Is this common practice at archery pro shops?

Would you say anything to the parents who are the owners or just let it go and find another shop? I don't know if mom and dad know what happened and if that's the case, they might want to know about it to address the situation. On the other hand, you would think that all family would be on the same page with operations.

You could alert the family though more times than not their frustration with the situation results in angry blowback at you. The enabling and excuses are likely just auto-pilot for the parents: Oh, Shannon's dog was sick last week and he just learned a friend had to have their wisdom teeth out or Starbucks got his drink order wrong or must have been a misunderstanding as Shannon is great with those things.

The parents likely know what issues their spawn is dealing with as enters adulthood yet lack the backbone to go to war with the spawn. It will take war. You may not be friends for a few years. I have fired family that could not be a productive, well-behaved member of our team. I prefer coaching but firing is on the table. Of course, no one on my team is in doubt of current goals and expectations for the team and each member. I expect more out of family, not less than I expect from a non-family member of the team. Part of our success is knowing no one gets to coast if the rest of us are hustling that day. Another part is the team is there for you if you need to step back due to illness or family matters. We just don't want to pick up the slack you create because it is a Tuesday when you are not feeling it so need a "me" day to re-anchor your purposefulness while at work. I am sure there are workplaces that embrace such reflection and soul-searching during work hours. Not here, though. Hard work and success leads to more success and new workers are carefully selected and tend to embrace our culture quickly. High-performers with a few years work experience hate being teamed with low-effort, low-success people. My two cents.

I would personally find a new shop. If I'm spending that much money on a flag ship bow, I want to make sure it fits me and I'm making the right choice. I've been to numerous archery shops when I'm in the market for a new bow and they set each one up to fit me. Just seems like laziness and poor customer service to me if they don't.

I've never heard of a bow shop having a bow ready to shoot. I have shot some demos, but they were owned by the people that ran each shop.

I was going to ask this question awhile ago but it slipped my mind. When I went out to my local archery shop to check out the flagship bows for 2021, I asked to shoot 2 bowtech bows. The proshop has one of every bow they sell sitting on the floor with a rest and a d-loop already installed. Some have sights and peeps and some don't. I told the pro that my draw length was 28.5 and he told me that they don't set individual draw lengths to customers when they drop in and want to test shoot because then everyone would be asking for their specific draw length on their demo bows. Now I guess I can kind of see this on say Mathews bows where they are all draw length specific and require a separate mod to be installed, but the bowtech bows have a rotating mod that allows change of draw length without a press. All the pro would of had to do was to take an allen key and adjust 2 draw length mods and a couple of draw stops.

My question is...do your pro shops set up a demo for you to shoot based on your specific draw length or do you just get to demo what is on the floor and if it is set up for you great,
I was going to ask this question awhile ago but it slipped my mind. When I went out to my local archery shop to check out the flagship bows for 2021, I asked to shoot 2 bowtech bows. The proshop has one of every bow they sell sitting on the floor with a rest and a d-loop already installed. Some have sights and peeps and some don't. I told the pro that my draw length was 28.5 and he told me that they don't set individual draw lengths to customers when they drop in and want to test shoot because then everyone would be asking for their specific draw length on their demo bows. Now I guess I can kind of see this on say Mathews bows where they are all draw length specific and require a separate mod to be installed, but the bowtech bows have a rotating mod that allows change of draw length without a press. All the pro would of had to do was to take an allen key and adjust 2 draw length mods and a couple of draw stops.

My question is...do your pro shops set up a demo for you to shoot based on your specific draw length or do you just get to demo what is on the floor and if it is set up for you great, if not, too bad?
Find a different place to spend your money, the shop I use does just about anything a customer ask, of course they have some guys in there that eat sleep and breath bow hunting that want you to be as crazy about it as they are.

I'll bet he had a bow within 1/2 inch of your dl.

If the shop is busy I could see not jacking around with a DL for someone who may be just tire kicking. If you called ahead and said "I want to schedule a time to try out the big 3 bows in 70#, 28.5 DL and 31" ATA, they likely would get them setup ahead of time because they know you are seriously considering buying.
But not being there, it's hard to tell..

But if it is a open house night or 2 weeks before opening day, they have to prioritize their time.

My question is...do your pro shops set up a demo for you to shoot based on your specific draw length or do you just get to demo what is on the floor and if it is set up for you great, if not, too bad?
Depends on how bad they need to sell a bow some will some won’t most will because they like to sell a bow

Shit, the shop I bought my last bow from wouldn't set the draw length to what I wanted on a bow that I purchased and had them set up, told me I was wrong. Been shooting the same draw length for 20 years with great accuracy. This was a well known and reviewed shop in North Denver, haven't stepped foot in that place since

Last edited:

Never had that problem at the shop I go to.

Ask the clerk what days the shop owner worked. Tell him you'd return than to check on the bows you wanted to shoot.

Shit, the shop I bought my last bow from wouldn't set the draw length to what I wanted on a bow that I purchased and had them set up, told me I was wrong. Been shooting the same draw length for 20 years with great accuracy. This was a well known and reviewed shop in North Denver, haven't stepped foot in that place since
Haven’t been too impressed my last couple of visits there.

Flip side of that. I shot the wrong DL for years until I went into a shop in Coeur d'Alene and they changed my mind. As an experiment, I went to other shops and asked to be measured without telling them what I thought my DL was. Every shop was within a half inch of the first shop.

As far as the OP - I agree that considering what you pay for a bow these days, you better get a good customer experience. Go somewhere else. I won't go as far as @JLS and go back there with someone else's receipt. It's their loss and I don't owe them anything. I would do an online review for other possible customers to read.

Call me Karen.

If they were a-hole to elbow busy and just couldn’t service you at the time I can see it. If they weren’t busy, I know the bow shop I use would have done it.

If you’re looking for your pound of flesh, Bowtech has protected territories. Email them and share your experience and if you bought another brand at a different shop that took the time let them know that too.

I bought a new bow a week ago and the shop set all 3 bows to my 30” draw. Hoyt, Elite and Matthews. Find a new shop.

When I went to try out a bow they gave me one that was at 30" just to see how the bow shot. I can see as to why they wouldn't change the draw lenght

I bought a new bow a week ago and the shop set all 3 bows to my 30” draw. Hoyt, Elite and Matthews. Find a new shop.
On an unlrelated note, I've been wanting to buy the RX-5 but one shop said they usually stop selling them and clearing out the existing stock when the new models come out. I wonder if I still could get one from that store because I'm left handed so I basically have to go that way

Sounds to me like they've had it too easy the last 2 years selling stuff. Just wait until there's a recession and money is tight, then they'll actually have to try.

Personally I'd look for another shop. If you're going to be dropping that much money they should bend over backwards to sell you on it.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back