Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Is there anything that preys on pine squirrels? Can I train one to take with me on elk hunts?

COEngineer

I don't understand how a creature so noisy and stupid (my hunting partner and I have both had one run across us - him while he was standing up!) has not been preyed upon to the point of extinction.

I once carried a pump pellet handgun with me for the sole purpose of killing a few of them, but I never actually fired for fear of blowing out unseen elk that were just about to step into my shooting lane.

Other than a barking cow elk, there are few sounds in the wilderness that grate on my nerves more than a barking squirrel. And why are they barking at me anyway?! Are they confusing me with some other 200 lb creature that sneaks around stealing their pine cones?

I used to think that when they chattered right after they dropped a pine cone (which often sounds a bit like an elk hoof hitting a stick), that they were challenging anyone else to come into their area. Now I wonder if they hear the pine cone striking the ground and are freaking out because they think it's one of those 200 lb creatures coming to steal their hard-earned prize.

No one wants your bloody pine cones! Just shut up and let us hunt in peace!

I had that same feeling this year with Prairie Dogs while antelope hunting. Never felt the need to shoot one until they all started barking at us sneaking up on a antelope.

Threw rocks, sticks ran at them. Failure. Only got louder and more badgering! Should have just left them alone and moved on but we were annoyed and thought we would drive them off. They win. Like the pellet gun idea though.

I've been there. You needed a goshawk or spotted owl. But basically everything eats them or steals from them. Or eats the critters that come to steal from them. Their middens. which you undoubtedly too close to, are Nature's Orion cooler (shameless sponsor plug for Randy) and basically the grocery store for dozens of species. They have more than pine cones to lose too. Spruce and fir, of course, but also lots of carefully dried mushrooms, many deadly to us, collections of bones, and even bear teeth, who knows what else.

You need a Stevens model 35 with subsonic hollowpoints and a 10" barrel.... ;) BTW, they taste good!

I’m surprised they taste good. I was joking with my hunting buddies this year saying they must not be worth eating cause they sure have no fear of man. I’ve came real close to poking them with broadheads before.

I take silicone earplugs on my elk hunts specifically so that I can take a midday nap without me losing too many arrows! 🐿️=😠

They opened the season on them here in Idaho this year for the first time ever. I took a few with a shotgun this year when I was out grouse hunting. I'll admit it was a bit satisfying to have one barking his head off at you while you have a shotgun in your hand. They taste great!

I've tried one since moving out here, a little tougher than a grey and not as conducive for a traditional southern squirrel and gravy recipe. I need to research some slower cooking recipes.

I've been there. You needed a goshawk or spotted owl. But basically everything eats them or steals from them. Or eats the critters that come to steal from them. Their middens. which you undoubtedly too close to, are Nature's Orion cooler (shameless sponsor plug for Randy) and basically the grocery store for dozens of species. They have more than pine cones to lose too. Spruce and fir, of course, but also lots of carefully dried mushrooms, many deadly to us, collections of bones, and even bear teeth, who knows what else.

You need a Stevens model 35 with subsonic hollowpoints and a 10" barrel.... ;) BTW, they taste good!

Being my first experience with this Western critter....whom, by the way, looks like a variation of the eastern red squirrel.....I sat still, they carried on for 10 min or so then went on with their business like I wasn't there. While sitting, one bugger jumped into my knee with a cone. He startled me n I startled him n off he flew....but never barked. They just did their thing and looked at me as they passed. They're actually entertaining during a slow period.

I've had a similar thing happen while ground hunting whitetails. I had red fox walk up and sniff my outstretched hand.

Being my first experience with this Western critter....whom, by the way, looks like a variation of the eastern red squirrel.....I sat still, they carried on for 10 min or so then went on with their business like I wasn't there. While sitting, one bugger jumped into my knee with a cone. He startled me n I startled him n off he flew....but never barked. They just did their thing and looked at me as they passed. They're actually entertaining during a slow period.

Being my first experience with this Western critter....whom, by the way, looks like a variation of the eastern red squirrel....

Same species, Tamiasciurus hudsonicus there is subspecific variation - don't go blasting one on the Pinalenos (aka Grahams) in AZ. They are federally protected there.

you people are lucky as squirrel are so pretty and neat and entertaining,,here in nz on the east coast and lesser extent the west we have a paradise duck who wait till you get close to your prey and then proceed to fly around and around your position honking like a goose,,try and shoot one in flight with your rifle,,myself ive only managed the feat once or maybe twice

I'll have a Redtail I'm trapping this weekend, we can train it up to go find him...

Those dang things. One busted me once after I had tracked an elk through fresh snow and was setting up for a shot. I had always heard about squirrels alerting other animals to our locations but seeing firsthand an elk's reaction to a chattering pine squirrel convinced me, and I believe also cost me an opportunity that year.

Those dang things. One busted me once after I had tracked an elk through fresh snow and was setting up for a shot. I had always heard about squirrels alerting other animals to our locations but seeing firsthand an elk's reaction to a chattering pine squirrel convinced me, and I believe also cost me an opportunity that year.

I used to worry about that (and maybe I will again after hearing your story), but the only time I remember hearing a squirrel while watching elk (I had a bull-only tag and they were cows) they didn't seem to even notice the squirrel - like it was just background noise to them.

Ha! I take my trained Pine Marten with me on every elk hunt! You should see Marty chase squirrels through the treetops! Shuts those buggers up fast.

But remember, just as the squirrels announce the presence of an intruding human, they will also point the location of elk skulking through the timber, so there's that. Gotta pay attention, fellas.

Pine-Marten-curiosity.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back