Is there any thing

Preacher shaner

A older guy i know has family in AK and he talked to me to day about going up to hunt. I have a 7 rem mag shooting 175 ELD-X. Is there any thing up there you would not hunt with that. Even the big bears.?????
I dont need another hunting rifle. Just for one maybe hunt.

A older guy i know has family in AK and he talked to me to day about going up to hunt. I have a 7 rem mag shooting 175 ELD-X. Is there any thing up there you would not hunt with that. Even the big bears.?????
I dont need another hunting rifle. Just for one maybe hunt.

Nope.

Who doesn't love an excuse to buy another rifle?

But to answer your question, No I don't think you need anything else.

I'm a firm believer in punching big holes, and the bigger the animal, the bigger I'd prefer the hole. That being said, I have zero experience with AK or with big bears, so take that for what it is.

I did not say i dont need another gun. Sht gun 500 sw 460 AR 40cal 9mm target rifle. Ao there is still a lot.

Tons of guys talk about what gun/caliber in AK, but few have actually gone... it's just internet jabber.

@Guy just posted about using his .30-06 instead of his .375 on an interior grizz,

If you are thinking about a bear hunt talk to some of the people of the forum who have done that hunt and ask them what they used and their opinions. I would imagine they will say, use whatever you can shoot accurately and operated well under pressure, typically that's old betsy, i.e. your go to hunting rifle. There are lots of logistics to work out when planing out of state hunts, especially an AK fly in trip... probably the least important thing is caliber selection. Also you won't be hunting brown/grizz unless you go guided, and it doesn't sound like your talking about that rather than going with a buddy so you will be limited to moose and caribou.

Guns are certainly fun to BS so if this is one of those convos more power to you... I'm just saying don't drain the bank account on a rifle, but a plane ticket instead.

...These threads make me think of a story my FIL likes to tell. About 10 years ago he went to Africa, all the guides faces lit up when he pull his beat to hell pre 64' model 70 in .270 out of the case...this thing has so many chips and dings and so many layers of tongue oil the stock looks kinda like petrified wood. The PH asked him how long he had been shooting that gun "oh just over 45 years my grand father gave it too me when I turned 13". He had a great hunt and got everything on his list, the last night his PH's were asking him about his gun and one of them told him the thing that makes them the most nervous is when someone pulls a brand spank'n new gun out of their case, typically that means a trip of bad shooting and wounded animals, apparently they usually enforce a hard 200 yard max on hunters but when they saw that gun came out of the case they new he could shoot which is why they let him take a 395 yard shot on his Kudu.

I'd use A-frames, or Partitions

Last edited:
The 7 mag is plenty of rifle, but I would personally choose a stouter bonded bullet than the ELD-X

after seeing how a 162 ELDX did on an elk there is no way I would trust a 175 grain ELDX. And I personally know of 6 other deer and elk that also had bad results. You need a better bullet

I'd use those ELD-X bullet's on sage rats and get good bullet's to hunt with. I'm a big fan of Hornady bullet's but have no use for plastic tip's on any bullet other than varmint bullet's and monolithic bullet's. In a 7mm mag I'd use a 175 gr bullet of some brand, knowing me probably a Hornady or I was very partial to Speer Hot Cores when I shot a 7mm mag. Something about cartridge's, you choose the correct bullet for the shot you take and place it well and it just kills! #2 world record Grizzly, #1 for a lot of years was killed with a 22 long RF from a single shot rifle. perfect shot for the bullet used. So the story was told, the first shot took it down and several more were followed up with. Use the right shot with the bullet you are using and the animal falls down no matter how big. Elephant's are brain shot. Proper shot and the elephant just falls down!

I'd use something stouter. My opinion only. mtmuley
I agree with this as it pertains to the bullet. I wouldn't shoot anything very big and thick, like moose, with a rapid expander like the ELD-X. There are better options, IMO, but I know people do it.

If you need to the 175 partition will kill everything that walks in North America. I would feel a little better with a 338 and a 225 partition on big bears. I would guess if we videoed 100 kills with those two rifles 50/50 and those two bullet selections we would not come up with a time or distance factor that showed one combo was better or killed quicker. In all reality it most likely doesn't matter.

I’ve settled on the 175 Partition in my 7RM as my primary bullet. I’d be much more confident in that or an Accubond or one of the monos than I would be with an ELDX in Alaska.

Don, explain to me why monos need a tip, and other bullets don't. mtmuley

Used to be a fellow on Graybeard named JJ Hack, African Pro Hunter. He tried the mono's when they first came out and now and then had a problem with bullet's closing up at the tip. Winchester came out with the plastic tip on their factory mono loads and claimed it was to insure the tip opened. Years ago I shot some Sierra Match Kings from a 308 into newspaper. Fired three rounds and every tip closed up! I suspect the mono's are good bullet's without the tip but I would not trust them. Funny thing about bullet's, all the years I've hunted I've only shot game with Hornady Spire Point/inter lock, Speer hot core and Sierra (pre gamekings). I have never had a problem with the Hornady bullet's ot the Speer Hot Core and can't imagine giving up on them for a new premium bullet. If the right bullet is used the results are a dead animal. I have 75gr Hornady V-Max bullet's loaded for a 243. Those bullet's won't shoot through a target and 2" of foam at 200yds without blowing up. I suspect the reason is the plastic tip being driven into the bullet! Get back to the mono and if I were going to use one, it would have to have the tip for me. In the bonded bullet's, I would not use them because of the tip. I'd rather the old Speer Hot Core. That tip has to go somewhere when the bullet hit's. I suspect it goes right back into the bullet. That's why the mono bullet will open every time with that tip.

I don't know if your familiar with the ad Speer ran when they first brought out the mag tip. It was a high speed photo of a bullet leaving the barrel. The tip melted off and that brought about the mag tip design. Now it the bullet get's hot enough to do that, the core must soften to some degree also. Soften the core and drive the plastic tip into it and maybe that why my 75gr V-Max are so explosive.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back