Is there any thing

Since you have virtually no experience shooting tipped bullets, you can't make any assumptions. As far as tipped monos, the Hammers don't have a tip, and work exceptionally well. The original TSX wasn't tipped either. It was added to enhance BC. I've put hundreds of tipped bullets into a variety of animals. I can assure you, tips do not in any way limit expansion. mtmuley

Since you have virtually no experience shooting tipped bullets, you can't make any assumptions. As far as tipped monos, the Hammers don't have a tip, and work exceptionally well. The original TSX wasn't tipped either. It was added to enhance BC. I've put hundreds of tipped bullets into a variety of animals. I can assure you, tips do not in any way limit expansion. mtmuley

I have used tips but in varmint bullet's. My though't on tip come's from reading a bunch of JJ Hack's experience with them in Africa. He like's the tipped version of mono's but suspected the untipped version; he saw some close up. I realize the explanation for the tipped bullet was extra BC but Winchester pretty much blew that. They claimed in their advertising the tip helped ensure the bullet expanded. I have never seen a Hammer bullet, no desire to either. What could they possibly do that several other bullet's can't do? Tips on mono bullet's I can agree with because it does make sense they will ensure the bullet expands. Tip's on varmint bullet's, my 75gr 243 bullet's, seem to expand the bullet violently. Couldn't find them one time and got a box of 75gr HP's, no where near as explosive. Only difference was the tip. In other bullet's similar to cup and core, the tip has to go somewhere and the only place it can go is into the bullet. Nosler had a problem with that first tipped bullet they came out with. Many report's and photo's seen of bullet's blowing up on the side of animals. The Ballistic Tip. They are supposed to have fixed that and I would suspect they went with a harder core. Never heard of a bonded bullet blowing but I'd bet they also have a harder core. Partitions didn't need the tip other than for sales appeal. The partition saves the rear of the bullet! There was never a complaint I read of about the older partition's not opening. The Nosler bonded bullet is designed by Nosler to maintain 70% of it's weight, same as the partition, told to me by Nosler.

My feeling about the plastic tip is they are for no more than sales appeal. They provide extra BC maybe but is it really needed? I don't think so, sales point! They do insure a mono bullet will open, Winchester admitted that and they do make a varmint bullet explosive.

Oop's! Missed it. You claim you've put hundred's of tipped bullet's into a variety of animals and can assure me tip's do not in any way limit expanssion. Do believe that is pretty much the same thing I said. I suggest they enhance expansion.

For you guys that are knocking the ELD-x, do you have any experience on using that bullet on game that lead your assumption that it will not perform on larger animals? Or is that just what you googled?

after seeing how a 162 ELDX did on an elk there is no way I would trust a 175 grain ELDX. And I personally know of 6 other deer and elk that also had bad results. You need a better bullet
Interesting, I’ve had the opposite results. Between the group I hunt with a lot of guys have taken a variety of game with the eldx in handloads and no problems on game.

Oop's! Missed it. You claim you've put hundred's of tipped bullet's into a variety of animals and can assure me tip's do not in any way limit expanssion. Do believe that is pretty much the same thing I said. I suggest they enhance expansion.
Have a nice day Don. mtmuley

What was it that you didn't like?
Bullet didn't expand, blew up and did what I call a body splash, not much penetration at all. Same with the other 6 elk/deer I mentioned. Took multiple rounds to do the job where one SHOULD have been enough. Without snow we would not have found the 1 bull elk.

I have zero experience with it. My experience is with the more fragile V-Max and I know first hand what it does compared to the 75gr hollow point. I know first hand that hp's can and do at time's close up the point and bend. I have about 50+ years experience killing things with handloads and I know for a fact that that tip has to go somewhere when the bullet makes contact. The only place it can go is right back into the bullet itself. I have read both good and bad about that bullet on game so my though is it's not for sure what's gonna happen. No doubt in my mind that that is simply another bullet designed to sell. Sure there are gonna be people that like it and there are gonna be people that don't. Doesn't matter so long as it sells.

The same tip is used on the Hornady bonded core bullet and they claim up to 90% weight retention with it. Never heard their claim for retention on the SST. Lot of people though the Nosler ballistic tip was great when it came out, lot of other's despised it. But along the way something changed with it. My thought is adding a harder core! Still called the ballistic tip but complaint's have pretty much quit. I read good and bad about the SST from people that claim to use them. Maybe it simply need's a bit harder core. One thing is for certain though, when that plastic tip bullet hit's anything, that tip has to go somewhere and somewhere is right into the heart of the bullet. To be sure I am a fan of most of Hornady's bullet's, been using their cup and core bullet's a lot of years, never had one fail. I would be a bigger fan of Speer Hot Core bullet's but Hornady's a bit more accurate in my rifles. other than in the monolithic bullet's and varmint bullet's I see only one real purpose for the plastic tip, sell more bullet's!

Should add that I did reload for a guy with the 162gr ELD-x in his 7 mag. They didn't shoot well at all. Went to the 162gr sp and the problem went away. He killed his elk with one shot from it and he's a terrible shot!

I put a grizz in the dirt a few years ago with a 7RM. I shot him in the chest at 200 yards with a 180 Berger VLD. The 7RM may not be optimal, but it's certainly big enough for the job. Although, I'd be more comfortable with a 300 Mag of some sort and even more comfortable with a 338 Mag of some sort.

I've also killed a boat load of critters with the ELD-X, never the 175, but we recently put a very large Oryx down with a 308 cal 200 grainer from a 300 WSM and it did just fine.

3297CC1F-12D4-41FD-8286-9A9AD62E4930.jpeg

I used the 162 eldx in a 284 winchester xp100. Shot speed goats, deer, elk from 300-935 yards. It worked as intended and I had no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peytb10
Back