Caribou Gear Tarp

Is the upgrade to tool steel broadhead worth it?

I'm sure they are better. I think the bigger question is do all the others just not work?

I have used wasp drones for years. Yet to fail me. I may have failed me, but the not the broadhead.

Thousands of animals killed with expandables. Talk about multiple points of possible failure. It gets the job done.

Shoot whatever gives you confidence and peace of mind.

Thanks for the reassuring. I do like my Magnus Stingers. I have damaged quite a few broadheads from pass thrus. I have 4 heads that are heading to them today. It sounds like it could take some time to get replacements...not sure exactly what they do but several ferrules are bent and some blades were chattered up. I do have the tools to sharpen their blades to make them really sharp.

In the mean time curiosity got the best of me and I recently ordered Crimson Talon Cleaver 150s. They are a single bevel blade made with Cr12MoV Tool Steel blades and 7075 Aluminum Ferrule. It seems to be a good compromise for a test especially at less than $30/3 (Lusk outdoors does broadhead tests on youtube has a 15% coupon). With my interest in going with a stiffer arrow I figured why not try a new broadhead too. Unfortunately these broadheads are made in China so I'll likely stick with the Magnus long term (support that KS crew)

Last edited:
Ive seriously been considering switching back to a cheaper broad head. Ive killed 3 elk and a sheep with Iron wills now and Ive lost 4 arrows! This year I lost one out of my quiver just hiking which really sucks! It gets real expensive when you loose arrows with a $40 broadhead on them!

I shot the Magnus stingers before and while I liked that head, it certainly has alot of surface area that I felt was less forgiving than some of the more compact heads. And really there is no comparison to the machining quality between the Magnus and the IWs.

Use whatever groups like your field points or close to it! Number 1 thing people do is not shoot there broadheads. I’ve had certain brands of Broadheads have a 8” difference from field points. I use all kinds of Broadheads in my 35 years of bow hunting, I can count on 1 hand how many have not died within 80 yards(whitetail not included 😜). Put in the 10 ring and it doesn’t matter what Broadheads your using imo.
Matt

These came today. Initial inspection of the three are they all spin true. Weights 153.2, 153.6, 153.9. Edges are not hunting sharp and do have some corrosion already. It looks like a simple knife honing jig will work to get these sharp fairly easily. Mr Stay Sharp himself sells inexpensive sharpening jigs. 20220927_174924.jpg

Attachments

• 20220927_174920.jpg
    20220927_174920.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
These came today. Initial inspection of the three are they all spin true. Weights 153.2, 153.6, 153.9. Edges are not hunting sharp and do have some corrosion already. It looks like a simple knife honing jig will work to get these sharp fairly easily. Mr Stay Sharp himself sells inexpensive sharpening jigs. View attachment 241783
Those look nice, hopefully you can give us a post animal review

These came today. Initial inspection of the three are they all spin true. Weights 153.2, 153.6, 153.9. Edges are not hunting sharp and do have some corrosion already. It looks like a simple knife honing jig will work to get these sharp fairly easily. Mr Stay Sharp himself sells inexpensive sharpening jigs. View attachment 241783
@Mthuntr do you have any feedback on these? I'm currently looking into them for the fall. Thanks!

@Mthuntr do you have any feedback on these? I'm currently looking into them for the fall. Thanks!
I did not get to shoot them at any animals. The broadheads came so dull that I had to spend 20-30 minutes per head to get them sharp using a Worksharp Precision Sharpener jig. The edge angle isn't standard and is somewhere around 33 degrees. I had to remove a lot of material to get them sharp because my jig only goes to 32 degrees. They fly just as well as any other single bevel though I think I'm a bit underspined with the weight I have up front so I'm getting some wonky hits so I'm looking into options right now. I need to visit a pro shop and see if we can tune things up or get a heavier arrow and at that rate I may consider a 200gr head.

Lusk Outdoors has a video on youtube and he spoke very highly of them and has several kills. Crimson Talon just released a wide blade single bevel that also has my attention. They look way easier to sharpen and are tough.

For the price ($30/3) I'd say give them a try but plan on sharpening them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back