Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Is the .308 Win adequate for Elk

Go with whatever weight bullet gives you the best accuracy. I get 1/2 in with 150s but every thing else is over 1inch. Bottails are even worse.

Your .308 is fine. There is absolutely no reason to go with a 180 bullet for elk. A 150 grain Barnes or Nosler would be plenty to do the job.

I used the .308 Win for several years. I use the .338 Win Mag now but would not hesitate to dust off the .308 for an elk hunt. The .338 punches a slightly larger entrance hole, pushes a larger chunk of lead, bucks the wind a bit better and has a bit more wallop as get beyond 300 yards. Most of my hunts that end with a shot are taken under 200 yards so the .338 provides me a bit more of a few things but the .308 is a fine choice.

Well All,

After some review and study of all you all had to offer. I've elected to utilize my .308 for this years Elk hunt. Some recommended the 150gr, which, I just couldn't wrap my head around as adequate. I say that with all the understanding those of you who responded and likely many others have done so with a 150gr round. But, I want a little more insurance.

So, I've stepped down from the 180gr bullet and elected to go with the 165gr Nosler Partition. I'll reload that in Lapua brass with either Varget or H4831 powder depending on my results from test fires and practice.

Great choice! 4831 will probably be too slow. Varget, 4895, or Re15 will probably do much better.

Agree

For my rifle's 22" barrel, I opt for the Varget due its faster burn. I haven't reloaded with 4895, but, I'll certainly look at it if my results with Varget aren't what I'm hoping for.:rolleyes: However, so far, Varget has been outstanding.

Great choice! 4831 will probably be too slow. Varget, 4895, or Re15 will probably do much better.

I miss-typed earlier - I shoot 165 Nosler Accubonds with Varget powder. Let me know and I'll look up my handload recipe.

For my rifle's 22" barrel, I opt for the Varget due its faster burn. I haven't reloaded with 4895, but, I'll certainly look at it if my results with Varget aren't what I'm hoping for.:rolleyes: However, so far, Varget has been outstanding.
Barrel length has nothing to do with the burn rate of the powder. The powder that produces the highest velocity will do so regardless of powder burn rate. That said, I've read of a lot of folks having good luck with Varget in a 308.

Barrel length has nothing to do with the burn rate of the powder. The powder that produces the highest velocity will do so regardless of powder burn rate. That said, I've read of a lot of folks having good luck with Varget in a 308.

Your post is confusing. B60 said that he was using Varget in the 22-inch barrel, which is a good choice due to barrel length vs burn rate. Correlating the burn rate to barrel length definitely makes a difference. A slow powder in the same situation would produce less velocity and probably would not allow enough to be put in the case. Burn rates will definitely make a difference in velocity and that is why only certain burn rates are used in some cartridges.

If you go down through a complete list of powders and try every one, generally, only a few in the same "zone" will produce like velocities. They will usually be the best accuracy, too.

What I meant to type is that the powder that produces the highest velocity will do so regardless of barrel length. The fastest powder in a 20" barrel will be the fastest powder in a 26" barrel.

Since you post there, do a search for this topic on 24 and look for the info Barsness has posted.

What I meant to type is that the powder that produces the highest velocity will do so regardless of barrel length. The fastest powder in a 20" barrel will be the fastest powder in a 26" barrel.

Since you post there, do a search for this topic on 24 and look for the info Barsness has posted.

It may be, but not in reverse. A fast powder in a 20 will be fast in a 26, but a slower powder that is high velocity in a 26, won't be fast in a 20-inch. Won't happen. That is where burn rates come in.

You are correct

Barrel length has nothing to do with 'burn rate'. The issue in my opinion is residual powder exiting the barrel that continues to burn on exiting the barrel.

This may not be a viable concern for the hunter, for the most part. And frankly, my 22" barrel has performed quite adequately with .308 and .22-250.

Well Said Hoop

Took the words out of my mouth.

Your post is confusing. B60 said that he was using Varget in the 22-inch barrel, which is a good choice due to barrel length vs burn rate. Correlating the burn rate to barrel length definitely makes a difference. A slow powder in the same situation would produce less velocity and probably would not allow enough to be put in the case. Burn rates will definitely make a difference in velocity and that is why only certain burn rates are used in some cartridges.

If you go down through a complete list of powders and try every one, generally, only a few in the same "zone" will produce like velocities. They will usually be the best accuracy, too.

Okay...

Try comparing 308 pistol data from 308 rifle data form the same company after you look up the posts on 24.

How much powder do you think is actually exiting the barrel??? Might it not be the gases igniting when hitting the O2 in the atmosphere?

Okay...

Try comparing 308 pistol data from 308 rifle data form the same company after you look up the posts on 24.

How much powder do you think is actually exiting the barrel??? Might it not be the gases igniting when hitting the O2 in the atmosphere?

So, what you are telling me is that the OP should go with the mentioned H4831 in lieu of Varget because it does not matter?! Show me how that works out-not.:eek:

As many have said, the .308 is a very capable elk round.
Another way to look at is this.
The .308, 30-06 and .300 mag all shoot the same bullets, just at different velocities.
As the bullets move down range and shed velocity, there is always a point where performance is nearly identical at slightly less distance.
A .300 Win. Mag. shooting a 180 Partition slows to about 1,800 FPS, and 1,300 Ft/Lbs at 500 yards.
The same bullet out of a .308 hits these same numbers at about 450 yards.
The difference is only about 50 yards !
Now on to getting an elk tag.
Colorado & Idaho over the counter, and Montana left over tags are your friend.
If you want a quick education and lots of tasty meat, let me suggest a cow tag.
Also, I see that you play with Archery and muzzleloaders, lots of good hunts can be drawn with less points than a rifle tag.
The very best tags can take 15 or 20 years to draw, but lots of good tags can be drawn with 3 to 6 points.
If I were you, I would start building points NOW.
You have 3 days left to get in on the Colorado drawing, they have a code for “Points only”
Too late for Arizona, but jump in next year (Arizona has amazing elk hunting).
This summer, you can buy a point only in Wyoming.

So, what you are telling me is that the OP should go with the mentioned H4831 in lieu of Varget because it does not matter?! Show me how that works out-not.:eek:

Try some reading comprehension. I never suggests he choose either. Just stated that the powder that produces the best velocity does so regardless of barrel length. Your itching for a fight that ain't there.

I'll "third" the Barnes bullets in 308. I've only shot a few elk with that load, but have yet to recover a bullet. They zip right through. I am a believer in exit holes, even though none of those particular elk needed much by the way of blood trailing.

Montana draw surplus is usually available in the first week of august. Deer, Elk , and antelope will be available.
In regards to your rifle question, the .308 has killed alot of elk, so you will have no problems. they aren't as hard to kill as they make it sound, Last years bull died from a 100 grain boattail out of a .257 Roberts, and it was just as dead as one hit with a .338 magnum lol.[/QUOTE

Surplus for antler less yeh .... Leftover deer/elk combo tags (bulls and bucks) will be for sale by end of April or first part of May

Back