Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Is New Zealand Over-hyped?

What’s it like bringing a gun over ? Also I have hunted Hawaii a couple times but always nervous about bringing my own gun there looked like in Maui at least you had to register gun in 3 days of arival? But was also told there is an exemption in Hawaii on nr hunters for a period of time. If this derails this topic too much just ignore the questions 😂
It's much easier to bring your guns into NZ than it is Hawaii. Doesn't matter which island, it's a state law that you must register them within 3 days of arrival and that includes NR. In Hawaii it's liked getting booked in jail; mug shots, fingerprints and gun registration.
NZ is very simple, just bring hunting guns that don't have clips/magazines that you attach, and don't hold more than 7 rounds.
Biggest hurdle is that on the 1 page easy to fill out form you need a kiwi host address with their firearms permit #. This is where you store guns when not hunting. They don't want guns stored in the trunk of your car while you are tiki touring.
I know an American that got by without it by stating that he will be hunting the whole time staying in a hut.
Also, NZ airlines wants you to remove the bolt from your rifle and pack it separately from the gun. This is how you will present it to the NZ police at the airport. Also, the NZ police at the airport only accept cash for the exact amount, they don't give change or take CC.
Also, something new the last time I went there in 2019. They made a big deal at the airport over me not declaring my ammo. I had never declared it before on my previous 4 trips but I guess now it is.
They will go through your gear with a fine toothed comb upon arrival looking for dirt, stickers, forest debris, dried blood and hair on your knives, etc.
Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to catch your connecting flight.

ps. When traveling with guns outside of the US you must register them with CBP before you leave. Once you do this keep the form forever so you don't have to do it each time. This is a declaration form that you owned the gun in the US prior to leaving the country and you didn't acquire it outside of the US. The same goes with Hawaii, keep the form. Although Hawaii made me redo it 3 times for the same gun because they kept changing protocol.

Last edited:
Thats a great tahr and an awesome collection surrounding it!

November was an excellent choice, its a great time to hunt tahr. I do a spring (Oct - Nov) tahr trip each year and its one of my favorites of the year. Warm weather, long days and tahr nice and low.
Thank you. It was nice having them low at that time.

NZ is very simple
It's slightly more complicated now, since the recent gun legislation that was knee-jerked through after the 2019 Christchurch shooting. There is a much more formal and time consuming firearms permit process for residents and visitors.

You used to be able to just show up with your gun, pay $25NZD cash for your permit, and be on your way. Now you must apply for your permit online ahead of time. It took them 2 months to approve mine when I was scheduled to go in April 2020 (which got cancelled, thanks COVID). And currently the NZ police are backed up several months on renewing Kiwi's firearms permits so I can't see them giving much priority to visitors permits when the travel ban is lifted.

Flying with your gun also got more complicated after Air NZ changed their firearms policy after 2019. They will not carry any firearms from codeshare flights. I booked with Air NZ, on their website, but it was codeshared with United for the DEN-LAX leg. Air NZ had to rebook me on all Air NZ flights or they wouldn't touch my gun. Call them within 24 hours of booking your flight to give them your firearms details and make sure this isn't a problem for you, so you can rebook for free during the 24 hour grace period if it is an issue.

Ammo is limited to 5kg weight and they want it in a separate checked bag. The bolt can be in the gun but the firearms officers in NZ are much happier if the bolt is out or you have a trigger lock on the gun; something making it very clear that the gun is inoperable. This part isn't new.

Since my first trip in 2011, I have always applied online for the firearms permit many months in advance and never "just showed up" with my guns. Upon arrival you still have to check them in for final approval and payment.

If perhaps I seemed to have over simplified the process, just know that I'm not answering in full detail every question. As a diy hunter one needs to "do it yourself ". All of my knowledge I gained from searching the internet on my own.
It all started with me from a casual conversation with my daughter when she saw a red stag in a magazine and said " Dad, look at the size of this tule elk" I explained to her what it was and where they are from and that most people hunt them in NZ or Argentina. She said "why don't you go to NZ and hunt them ? I said "They are guided hunts that cost a fortune " Then she said "Don't they have public land to hunt them ?
Good question!
I started a search online and found virtually all my answers right here......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back