Is it safe to shoot squirrels with a .22?

sierrahunter

Lots of hunters use a .22 for squirrel, but is that safe? Where does that bullet go when misses occur at squirrels way up in a tree?

We all know that shooting a skylined elk is ill-advised because the backdrop is unknown. How is that different than shooting straight up in the air?

Just some musings for a Monday morning…

Last edited:
Sure is. You have to choose your shots, like with any weapon. Wait until the squirrel moves down from the top of the tree, shoot it while it’s on the ground, etc.

yes its very very safe but its all about the shooters ethics

I went to high school with an idiot who shot himself through the hand with a .22 once. Has little to do with your story but at the same time if he survived that with no real damage, then the terminal velocity of a falling .22 bullet probably isn't going to hurt anyone.

Just pick your shots and know what's behind the squirrel when you shoot, it'll all be fine.

Better not to shoot ”up” there. It’s more of a challenge using the .22 rather than the shotgun. Just .22lr. And using my Henry Classic or Golden Boy without the scope makes it even more challenging. Besides, I just like to carry a lever action. Makes me feel like a cowboy.

I went to high school with an idiot who shot himself through the hand with a .22 once. Has little to do with your story but at the same time if he survived that with no real damage, then the terminal velocity of a falling .22 bullet probably isn't going to hurt anyone.

Just pick your shots and know what's behind the squirrel when you shoot, it'll all be fine.
If shooting at squirrel in 20' up in a tree and you are 50' away then is not terminal velocity at play when the bullet is back at ground level. Sure, might hit a tree trunk or a limb to slow down.

As for shooting towards the ground from 50' away, bullets skip off frozen soil, a bit of rock or even a tree root. Not terminal velocity at play.

Story time. I was cotton tail hunting with a buddy in high school. Rabbits were out and about on a frozen feedlot where the cattle had been sold that week. 3" of snow so grass was sticking up. I shot at a rabbit 100' away with my buddy 10' to my side also 100' from the rabbit. I was using a .22 and he had a twenty gauge shotgun.

My bullet ricocheted off something and hit in front of him just to the side of him headed at him. You could see the groove in the crusted snow. That was basically a reverse path of my shot from hitting something that was not the rabbit. Scared the crap out of us. No time to react, either. Was bang bang sort of deal.

In all fairness there is 1 open death investigation in our county from 3 or 4 years ago. A hmung squirrel hunter shot his brother in law with a .22. The bullet went through his arm and upper chest and stopped on the opposite side between the ribs and skin. There was 8 other witnesses all related to the shooter and victim. None would cooperate with authorities. The bullet was a match to the shooters gun but it was undetermined how far from the victim he was when he was shot. In broken English his story was he was shooting at a squirrel in the direction of the victim, not knowing he was there. Seems a little sketchy to me, hence the reason it’s still an open investigation that will probably never be determined unless one of the witnesses decides to cooperate.

I’ve always positioned myself to use the tree trunk or nearby tree as a back stop. Or picked up the .410. If you know your pattern you can hold low and off the head enough to keep most pellets out of the body.

Department of the Army Pamphlet 385–63 has the Surface Danger Zone (SDZ) for a 22lr at 1400 meters or 1531 yards. That the the farthest range I could find if the maximum range of a 22lr and I’m sure there is a buffer there.
I guess it’s like everything, know your target and what’s behind it.

If shooting at squirrel in 20' up in a tree and you are 50' away then is not terminal velocity at play when the bullet is back at ground level. Sure, might hit a tree trunk or a limb to slow down.

As for shooting towards the ground from 50' away, bullets skip off frozen soil, a bit of rock or even a tree root. Not terminal velocity at play.

Story time. I was cotton tail hunting with a buddy in high school. Rabbits were out and about on a frozen feedlot where the cattle had been sold that week. 3" of snow so grass was sticking up. I shot at a rabbit 100' away with my buddy 10' to my side also 100' from the rabbit. I was using a .22 and he had a twenty gauge shotgun.

My bullet ricocheted off something and hit in front of him just to the side of him headed at him. You could see the groove in the crusted snow. That was basically a reverse path of my shot from hitting something that was not the rabbit. Scared the crap out of us. No time to react, either. Was bang bang sort of deal.
Not sure just how true that is.

View attachment 260990
or this one:https://www.gigacalculator.com/calculators/terminal-velocity-calculator.php

View attachment 260991
Yeah I have no idea what I'm talking about or why I used a phrase like terminal velocity when it isn't relevant here. Carry on folks.

Hmmm - Interesting stats on horizontal distance and impact velocity of various firing angles. Assumes a clean miss and the bullet is not upset after hitting an animal or tree branch.

It is absolutely not safe to shoot squirrels with a .22. I had a friend in high school shoot one with a .22. The darn thing fell out of the tree and immediately went into full attack mode. Lucky one of the many backup shots from that old pump gun managed to stop the vicious little animal before it could do any damage. I would say it would be safe to use, at minimum, a .243 on squirrels. Anything less and you're taking your life in your hands.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back