Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Is it even feasible............

TB, thanks for sharing the pictures. They're awesome. And aside from the great photography of beautiful scenery and awesome animals, that is a very, very big-bodied elk. Whoa.

Don't quote me, but I think all the elk they transplanted to Alaska are Roosevelt.

Yep, those great pictures really make me wish I had more time to spend in Alaska. We're having to plan our next trip very carefully to have some new experiences and not miss out on things while we're there. Trying to soak up as much as possible while we can. Looking at more exploring of new areas and try to get some fishing in. I've been scouring the real estate websites looking for a place to someday move to. You guys are making it hard to stay here!

Right on Dave. Did you hit the slopes as well? Or at least take a tram trip to the top? I work at Alyeska so if your ever in G-wood again drop me a note and I'll give you a tour of the ski hill.

No, we were just passing through on a day trip down the coast. Needed some grub and after a tour of the town picked Silvertip. Good choice! We did get up to Alyeska but turned around and went back down. Spent a couple of bucks at the Tourist Trap as well. If we head past here again headed South for some fishing around Homer or Ninilchik we may have to check out that "hill". Just what is at the top? We looked and thought it was going to take too much time from our drive to do it.

TB, which island are you hunting elk on?

I've only hunted them on Afognak, I have friends that have hunted them on Raspberry. We ran into 9 bulls on Raspberry in December while we were deer hunting. Mostly rag horns, but cool to see a herd of bulls like that bombing around after season.

Damn, my Dad had a cousin that lived on Kodiak and we always had an open invite to come up. Sadly, my Dad's cousin died on McKinley a few years ago. Beautiful place, would love to spend some time up there.

I met Brian a few times. He was a nice guy, and taken too early.

Just a few more and I will be done hijacking your post...
One of my favorite animals to hunt. I also have a North Road tag in my pocket this fall so I'll be going after number 4. :D

Always a few bear around.

More sheep

And of course ducks

Man you guys are killing me! Thanks for all the comments and pics. I assumed a post on friday afternoon in March wasn't going to get many responses. WOW! was my first thought when I fired up the ol' computer this morn.

I've been to Alaska 4 times and understand the logistics and distance between home and hunting spots.

My Brother Zane and I on a drop-camp bou hunt.
Cade Caribou 7.jpg
Zane Caribou 4.jpg

130 pound halibut
Halibut 5.jpg

Catching Silvers with my dad.
Ak 01.jpg

I know that I will get to do a couple 10 day hunts every year and will probably have to fly-in to locations and then backpack hunt for sheep, goat, moose, griz, etc.

I guess my real concerns are with getting to take my kids and the opportunities for them. I too, like Buzz mentioned, love being able to throw the rifle and all 4 girls in the truck on a friday afternoon and go hunting until Saturday night. I havene't looked at all the rules and regs, but I assume there will be opportunities to take my girls for a long weekend and they can shoot a bullwinkle bull moose or a cow? Does everything have to be 50+ inches or can you shoot a bullwinkle without doing a 7 day float? I also assume every caribou hunt doesn't have to be a fly-in type trip.

I understand that sheep will have to be a fly-in trip. I assume mtn. goat will be week-long backpack trip. I assume a trophy moose hunt will be a week long float trip or flight. I look forward to the planning, logistics and remoteness of those trips. I don't look forward to them for my kids when they won't be able to take that much time off of school to participate.

I spent the better part of 2 nights after work reading every thread about Alaska. TB, Bambi, Kaitum, Lawnboy, Dink, etc. have all had great experiences chasing the dream. I have dreamed about hunting Dall's, Griz, Goats, and Bou in Alaska my whole life. I have also dreamed about big rainbows and Char dancing on their tails trying to throw my hook. I just don't think I'd put those dreams on the front burner if it means that my kids can't go with me. Right now the future generation is more important to me than my own 'hunting dreams'. I'm afraid hunting is one of the best places and ways I have to teach my kids how to be honorable and productive members of society. I won't lose that opportunity for my own selfish desires.....................

As big of a sportsmen's paradise as Alaska is I just don't think I can enjoy it as much as I could with my kids there. I guess I should quit rambling about my philosophical views and just ask what the real hunting opportunities are for an Old man that likes/wants/needs to take his kids along with him?

-Cade

Hunting opportunities with your kids are just the same as they would be if you were going solo or had your buddy along. Certainly some hunts may be more arduous than others but if your kids are up to the task that's great that you're getting them involved. If they're just starting out hunting, a weekend caribou hunt might be a great introduction for them whereas 10 days of wind, cold, and rain on Kodiak glassing for bears might be more than they can handle. Except for musk ox and elk, I can't think of any other species up here where a plane or boat ride are needed to hunt them. You might have a more complete 'wilderness' experience doing a fly-in sheep hunt depending on what your expectations are but there is more than one walk-in sheep hunting opportunity in AK. Same with mountain goats. You can hunt caribou and moose off the road system every year. In fact, spending thousands to fly into an area doesn't guarantee solitude.

Given my work schedule, I can only take about two weeks off each year for hunting. And living in Anchorage doesn't lend itself to pulling off too many weekend hunting trips. I knew my days in AK were numbered when I moved up here so I've chosen to go the route of taking one hunting trip each year and flying into an area for 7-10 days. But that's just based on what I'm looking for in a hunting experience. Folks who have a different work schedule or live in a different location may be able to hunt much more frequently or locally. Once you figure out the access part of Alaska, its just a matter of how much time and money you wish to spend (or not spend). You can make the logistics as simple or complicated as you wish.

Good luck,

Jeff

Last edited:
The hunting season here is longer than any in the L48, most people don't realize it. Depending on where you live there is something, somewhere to chase/hunt year round. I think most associate hunting in Alaska with the "pinnacle" species and the general season. There's tons of opportunity outside the general season, and some big game opportunities are year round. Toss in draw permits etc, and you can easily hunt from August through December, and that's excluding year round bear/caribou hunting on OTC tags.

For me the hardest part is being motivated to go. Its either, wet and cold, or snowy and cold, and the days are short and the drives can be long.

For weekend trips... you name it you can hunt it off the highway, within reasonable driving distances, and you can be successful on a walk-in type hunt. Alaska is a big state... it takes a long time to drive to hunt some animals, just the way it is.

I'm not going to get into all the nuances of hunting and fishing seasons/regulations here, but there is more opportunity (both variety of animals and hunting season length) with a 3 hour drive of my house than there is anywhere in the L48. There are even opportunity for those quick after work hunts if you want to search them out.

Taking children out in the bush isn't going to be easy, nor is it going to be similar to the easy hunts in WY... but I see kids out in the field all the time. I guarantee my kid will be in the field this fall hunting caribou and moose, its all a matter of what amount of effort you are willing to put in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
I will make sure and find those opportunities for my kids if the job happens. My wife gave me the green light so I may start looking even harder. Fairbanks looks COLD in the winter!! I think there was a glitch in the report I ran for Monthly averages in Fairbanks. It said the record low for March, April, June, July and September all occurred in 1971 at -41F!!! Record low for August is only 24F and that occurred in 1987.
Thanks again.
-Cade

Man, I need to have my wife read this thread. Maybe we'll end up in AK one day, although I guess it probably won't have the same effect on her :)

We've gone up 3 times now and loved it more each trip! Met Bambistew this last time and there's no WAY to remember all the knowledge he passed on to me. Got to at least do some fishing this time, still trying to figure out what to do with the wife if I ever go hunting! As far as relocating goes, my ship hasn't left the dealer, let alone come in...

TBinKodiak's ....dang bubba...great pics. I enjoyed them . Wish you and I were best friends .

Definitely a place I'd love to visit. Cant afford to hunt there but a visit to experience the place is worth the trip.

Definitely a place I'd love to visit. Cant afford to hunt there but a visit to experience the place is worth the trip.

I know you are a big game hunter but if you do visit Alaska you can hunt small game as a foreigner without having to hire a guide.

Attachments

• 20151205_100945.jpg
    20151205_100945.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 353
  • 20151208_131740.jpg
    20151208_131740.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 20151205_161851.jpg
    20151205_161851.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 20140125_195833.jpg
    20140125_195833.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 341
  • 2014-09-09 14.34.52.jpg
    2014-09-09 14.34.52.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 2014-09-10 10.18.08.jpg
    2014-09-10 10.18.08.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 20140913_141342.jpg
    20140913_141342.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 420
Good luck on the job search! I'll admit I'm jealous as heck of your current location and that will only get worse if you move... ;)

No more job search. I started this thread a little over 2 years ago. My girls weren't as ready to move North as I was.......... Now one of them is gonna be a sr. next fall. Definitely no move on the horizon. In fact, I could have drawn my Wyoming moose this year but I didn't want a moose tag and a sr. the same year! Probably do it next season. Only kicker is my hunting buddy from Idaho drew a Wyo Mtn. Goat tag and I'm his wilderness Sherpa. We'll get to spend plenty of time out of the backpacks above the clouds this fall. Next year he'll be my Sherpa and pack moose meat!

I'll keep dreaming of AK and see if I can still hit the hills when the kiddos are out of the house. It sucks trying to be old and responsible............
-Cade

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back