Is hunting big game accompanied by a dog legal?

This is the response the game warden gave me when I asked if you could have a dog along on an antelope or deer hunt.

"This is a fine line. If the dog helps in any manner then it is illegal to take your dog hunting. If the dog does not help with hunting or indicating where the animals are then it is fine. "

Would a St Bernard with the beer keg on his neck be helping?

A blood dog sure is a life saver in the swamps and thickets of the South. Amazing what a good dog can do.

My dogs would absolutely be no help whatsoever...One would be chasing her tail, the other continually bringing me something to play "fetch" with.

Though I'm far from a "legal mind" but I think hunting accompanied by dogs and hunting with dogs are distinctively different.

Totally understand what you are saying. But, you and I both know there will be people doing what they aren't supposed to be doing. I had a discussion with a hunter three years ago. Sitting under a tree glassing and heard panting behind me. WTH? Friendly black lab smelling my pack and his owner shows up carrying his rifle. Story was that wifey wouldn't let him go unless he took the dog. Dog got out ahead of him and he was having trouble keeping up. Hmmm

The mutt is always with me, not as an aid but as an additional handicap, kinda like taking the wife along, only the dog listens better. Double handicap of archery and dog is a bit much though, I have seldom been able to overcome that one and tag anything.

Could it get a ticket written, OF COURSE... if you meet the wrong prick of a warden, on the wrong day. But that goes for any trip you take, with or without the dog. Lotsa trips are special memories just because of the antics of my furry companion, bringing style to an otherwise run-of-the-mill hunt.

And they always help with butchering and packing chores, especially the former.

IMG_1650 (640x480) by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC04829 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Scan0002 (2) by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Scan0003 (2) by squirrel2012, on Flickr

DSC04958 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Here in CO you can't even legally blood trail with a dog, unfortunately.

New this year, CO allows tracking of wounded big game w leashed dog:

2. A leashed dog may be used as an aid in locating and recovering wounded big game wildlife, except for black bears, with the purchase of an annual tracking permit. Tracking permits can be purchased for $40.00 from any Colorado Parks and Wildlife Office by the dog handler. Prior to using the permit, the dog handler must notify a Colorado Parks and Wildlife Office and provide the following information: the dog handler’s name, hunter’s name (if different than the handler), hunter’s CID number, location of use, species to recover, and time of use. Within five business days of using the permit, the handler must also notify the Division regarding whether they recovered the carcass. A dog may only be used to pursue or locate wounded big game during legal big game hunting hours. Provided however, that such pursuit may continue after legal big game hunting hours if the handler contacts and obtains the permission of a Wildlife Officer prior to continuing such pursuit. In acting on any such request, the Wildlife Officer shall consider the general public safety and may authorize the dispatch of the wounded animal after legal hunting hours. The dog must be leashed at all times and can not be used to kill, chase, or harass wildlife. The properly licensed hunter is required to be present while the dog is tracking and the animal must be dispatched by the hunter using a legal method of take based on their license. The dog handler is required to wear daylight fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink while tracking, unless the handler is tracking an animal shot on an archery license.

Where I live in SW Montana, it seems everyone except me has at least two dogs, often three. Unfortunately most are untrained, unruly and scare any game away from them. In the several decades I have hunted big game, never once have I encountered someone using a dog to track a wounded or downed animal. From my perception, it's a rare exception. A pet peeve of mine is having to listen to and/or see dogs where and when I am hunting big game. Most often the game is gone or at least on the run when seen.

To those of you who are responsible dog owners and train your pets, companions, and hunting dogs ... I applaud you and thank you. You are exceptional in many ways.

I'm late to the party on this thread but in NM the rehab state that you can bring a dog for tracking downed game provided it is leashed.

You can hunt deer and bear with dogs in NC, but can't hunt on Sunday. In MI you can use dogs to hunt bear and to track wounded game, and most hunters will shoot a dog that's chasing deer. Quite different ways of thinking between the two states
In arkansas you can hunt deer with dogs in some areas not sure if it's the entire state just know the south west corner because I was planning on hunting there, didn't think any state still allowed that.

FWIW here in New Zealand dogs are used a lot to hunt. Usually pigs but also deer for pointing, tracking and sometimes to chase out in the open. No rules or regulations on using dogs here.

@wllm1313 you could give this a try?

hqdefault.jpg

In Wyoming, it depends on what you are hunting. You can use dogs on racoons, lions and I believe predators (not sure so don't take my word on that). You can not use them to hunt most big game other than that. You can use dogs to help you track down a wounded or killed animal but not to pursue or flush wildlife except where specifically allowed in the hunting regulations.

Back