Is a spotting scope needed?

Florida Boy

Going on my first antelope hunt and wondering if I really have to get a spotting scope. Just want some input from the experts, don't want to get there and wish I'd brought one.
Thanks

IMHO not a necessity, if you are just looking for a representative buck.But if you are really wanting to size them up then get a spotter. I killed 3 bucks before i bought one and i suspect there have been thousands killed without the use of one.

You don't have to have one unless u want to size a buck up. Go hunt and have fun.

The difference between a good 12" and 14" antelope at 500 yards is hard see without good optics. A spotting scope sure makes it nice without wasting time trying to get closer to get a better look.

I don't know if I'd take any advice from Cushman...he posted on another thread that he does romantic things with his bow. And since that bow is a Mathews, it would be like him getting it on with a transvestite! If he had a Bowtech, I'd understand...it'd be like a night with the 100 Hottest Female Olympians of 2012! LOL!

As for the original question...If you are going for a good buck a good set of binos will work, If you are looking for a trophy and really looking at horns a spotter is the only way to go! Good luck!

this is a opinion question, and this is my opinion, if you know what you are looking at/for you need a spotting scope but if your a new comer too antelope hunting and are not proficient at scoring/determining the size of the antelope you do not need a spotting scope, bino's will be sufficient for someone who is not proficient at judging antelope,
Matt

For a first timer, I would not bother if you don't have one.

You're probably going to shoot the first respectable buck you see. Heck, you'd be crazy not to.

Truth is, even if you had a scope, you'd probably end up grossly misjudging their horns any way.

Pack some decent 10X binos and you'll be good.

A good spottong scope makes those horns look huge, !! I carried mine for two days and left them in the truck after than, used 10x40 nikons for the last couple days, spotter is good for checking for broken tips and prongs if your real fussy, and size if you can judge at that distance, i cant,, :(

Back