Is a 9.9 kicker worth it?

Dieseldog

I bought a 18ft Lund with a 135 and a front mount trolling motor. Boat will be used on Sakakawea and smaller water for walleye and pike. Is it worth it to add a 9.9 kicker?

Attachments

• 20190303_201325.jpg
    20190303_201325.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
I have an 18 foot starweld, and did not have a kicker the first year. I did the 2nd. Too often I ran the batteries out on the electric motor, but I do alot of trolling for kokanee and lake trout, usually in a slight wind. The kicker allows me to stay out longer.

See how well the trolling motor works on your first few trips. My experience is that a kicker is superior on deep v type boats. Electric motors seem to eat batteries in the conditions I'm typically fishing walleye.

I have a Lund 2025 ProV. When I troll in much wind, I use my T8 Yamaha Kicker for thrust and steer with my bow mount. Slicker than deer guts on a door knob. Saves a ton on battery and solves a lot of frustration when fighting winds on Ft. Peck. I suspect Sak would be a similar situation.

I've got an 18'6" Weldcraft dv maverick with a Johnson 115 with. 9.9 kicker. I had to to a plate on the kicker to troll slower than 1 mph it fishes great! 102232

I have an 18’ crestliner sportfish with 150 evinrude on it. I have had a kicker on it but was worried about the weight on the transom and it was in the way. I got a happy troller and it works good on the Mississippi for walleye and Lake Michigan for salmon. I have an 80 lb minn Kota terrova on the front.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/The...ViIjICh0upgP4EAQYAyABEgIhVfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
oooh, I'm getting an 1850 Sportfish this week with a 150 Optimax. Can't wait for Flathead to thaw out!

I'm in the minority, although most of my experience has been with a 16.5 deep V and a 55 pound thrust trolling motor. I like the quiet operation of an electric troller and the battery lasted quite a long time on a charge. I like dragging the big motor to keep the boat straight in the wind. We'll see what I think in the bigger boat.

I would certainly say yes if you can afford it. It's just damn tough trying to livebait at times without a kicker. Or pull cranks.

oooh, I'm getting an 1850 Sportfish this week with a 150 Optimax. Can't wait for Flathead to thaw out!

I'm in the minority, although most of my experience has been with a 16.5 deep V and a 55 pound thrust trolling motor. I like the quiet operation of an electric troller and the battery lasted quite a long time on a charge. I like dragging the big motor to keep the boat straight in the wind. We'll see what I think in the bigger boat.
I mostly use mine to troll crankbaits for walleye and spoons for salmon. if we are using jigs or live bait it’s just the electric. The wind doesn’t blow nearly as much here as it does on those big western lakes so I can inderstand why you would use both. Having a bigger than you need trolling motor and good batteries is huge in my opinion.

I mostly use mine to troll crankbaits for walleye and spoons for salmon. if we are using jigs or live bait it’s just the electric. The wind doesn’t blow nearly as much here as it does on those big western lakes so I can inderstand why you would use both. Having a bigger than you need trolling motor and good batteries is huge in my opinion.
I grew up in Michigan walleye fishing. I always had a back up battery, but could cruise around at 3.5 mph for quite a while before running out of juice. I could see how a kicker would be good on a multi-day camping/fishing trip to fort peck though.

Like others have said, it kinda depends on your trolling motor setup. It's definitely possible to go all day on one charge if you have a nice battery system. I know a lot of guys around here with kickers that hardly get used.

I have a Lund pro v 19ft with a 200hp Yamaha and a 8hp kicker. I fish the Great Lakes and wouldn’t want to be with out a kicker. I also have an electric trolling motor on the bow as well. I had a tohatsu kicker on my last boat which was an excellent choice. If you buy the 8 hp you can rebuild the carb if you really wanted to make it a 9.8 hp I’m sure that is the same with all 8hp/9.8 hp outboards. Ge the charging system and electric start you won’t regret it. It’s worth the added security of knowing you will make it back to the dock with out a tow. Plus they sip gas

Having personally been stranded 12 miles out in lake Erie when the big boy johnson 250 blew an engine rod....yes. You should invest in a kicker. lol

I have a Lund 2025 ProV. When I troll in much wind, I use my T8 Yamaha Kicker for thrust and steer with my bow mount. Slicker than deer guts on a door knob. Saves a ton on battery and solves a lot of frustration when fighting winds on Ft. Peck. I suspect Sak would be a similar situation.

Yup. Steering up front, and a nice shallow pitch prop on the back works really well, and your batteries for your electric up front last forever.

yes..if pulling cranks. Use trolling motor to help steer. Your 135 will probably be too fast to troll with.

I have a 20fter, I only have a bow mount 112 thrust 36 volt. Troll Walleye all the time with it. The key is have 36volts and replace your batteries every 3 years. I also tournament Bowfish, which means basically we troll around all day shooting carp. From my experience here in Idaho and Oregon and Washington, this is all that you need. But if you’re trolling saskakawea and other windy bodies of water you may want to invest in a kicker motor. That being said the Columbia River can have 4 foot rollers and I still troll there, I have a 2000 W generator that I have constantly charging the batteries.
Matt

Back