Is 4 lbs considered “heavy” for a tripod?

A207X2

I just ordered my Leupold SX-2 Alpine HD 20-60X80MM Angled spotting scope and am now looking at tripods. I have used tripods for years - on cameras taking pictures - but have never carried one for hunting. I see these carbon fiber ones that are super light weight but also super expensive. I certainly understand the weight advantages but how much is “too heavy”? Also, when looking at tripods what features are important to you?

Last edited:
This is what I like so take it as you will.
-3or 4 section legs
-65" or more max height for standing with binos
-outdoorsmans bino adaptor setup
-prefer fluid head for glassing
-ball head more versatile, does everything(shooting included)
-tripod must work for binos, spotter and rifle
-lightweight tripods are to short and lack ridgity for heavy optics, wind, rifle shooting

I have a slick 734, 3lbs what I consider the lightest, tall enough, ridged enough, but yet affordable ($220). Also have a slick 833, 3.4lbs that is taller much more ridged without being to heavy to carry at about the same cost ($230). Mounting my rifle on the 833 with a stout ball head is a dream come true.

This is what I like so take it as you will.
-3or 4 section legs
-65" or more max height for standing with binos
-outdoorsmans bino adaptor setup
-prefer fluid head for glassing
-ball head more versatile, does everything(shooting included)
-tripod must work for binos, spotter and rifle
-lightweight tripods are to short and lack ridgity for heavy optics, wind, rifle shooting

I have a slick 734, 3lbs what I consider the lightest, tall enough, ridged enough, but yet affordable ($220). Also have a slick 833, 3.4lbs that is taller much more ridged without being to heavy to carry at about the same cost ($230). Mounting my rifle on the 833 with a stout ball head is a dream come true.
What ball head are you using?

I am using an overpriced rrs bh-30 with qd plate. There are 100's of ball heads you just have to decide on a balance of price/weight/size/features that fit your needs.

How much are you willing to carry and for how far is the question you need to ask yourself. Check out two vets tripods. Their no name jr has done great for me and I don’t miss the center column at all

Back