Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

iron sight upgrade for muzzleloader

Gellar

I put the lee shaver insert on for a nevada hunt last fall and it is definitely worth it. everything else covers way to much of the target. you can also learn to use a 6 oclock hold and a fine post. the fine crosshair sight was just like a scope for me.

I put in for a CO muzzleloader elk tag. I currently shoot a T/c pro hunter fx with a Nikon omega scope for deer in Iowa. Obviously I will have to take the scope off and use iron sights. I read an article on gohunt https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/increased-accuracy-from-an-open-sight-muzzleloader#gs.q69UoZ0 about upgrading your sights. Is it worth it or should I stay with the factory iron?

I tried this setup on my T/C Omega last year, but the front sight was too tall and I didn’t have time to find a shorter front sight

Vernier tang sights so far as I'm concerned. Alternatively, a Marbles tang sight used with a conventional barrel sight set to different ranges. (200 and 100 yards, respectively).

I have a peep and globe setup on the one my wife used to harvest a pronghorn last year. 75yd perfect shot. She said it felt intuitive to her because it is just like her bow sights.
The Lee shaver insert is a good compliment. I ordered directly from him and the first one got lost in the mail. He paid to overnight me another. I highly recommend dealing directly.
I will be trying to put together a similar setup with my muzzleloader.

If you go with a globe front sight that takes inserts, you can have Distant Thunder (Jim Kluskens) make custom inserts for it. He can make them to fit any current and many historic globe sights. A very fine crosswire can be ideal for hunting - if your eyes can handle it. A crosswire with two additional stadia at about 0.120" intervals can give you three different zeros, or just a plain post and bead or simple post, or anything your heart desires, can be made to your specs.

A simple and inexpensive globe sight is the Lyman 17a which comes in 3 different heights. Jim can make inserts for that too, if you want something special.

Hunting with irons is all that I do, so I've spent some time on this issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back