Iowa unit 3 bow hunting

Scooter2010

Hey everyone, I was fortunate enough to draw a unit 3 bow tag in Iowa this year and om wondering if anyone has experience hunting the loess hills and what kinds of bucks the area holds. Thanks in advance

Iowa is like Kansas , it's all good. Need to be there Nov 6 thru 16 and hunt all day. Usually some crops on private ground Around the public. Deer generally bed on the public if u can find some good cover.

Iowa is like Kansas , it's all good. Need to be there Nov 6 thru 16 and hunt all day. Usually some crops on private ground Around the public. Deer generally bed on the public if u can find some good cover.
Been to unit 5 before and its amazing, hoping the west side will be the same quality of hunting.

Might need to look into if any of the areas you were looking at hunting has been affected by the flooding that they’ve had. A lot of deer have been dispersed and crops have been ruined so you might need to change your plans and hunt a different spot.

Good luck this year. No Iowa for me this year, but next year I’ll have enough points to draw a tag.

Might need to look into if any of the areas you were looking at hunting has been affected by the flooding that they’ve had. A lot of deer have been dispersed and crops have been ruined so you might need to change your plans and hunt a different spot.

Good luck this year. No Iowa for me this year, but next year I’ll have enough points to draw a tag.
Thanks i hope its not followed by a drought later this summer. We do not need a repeat of 2012.

Scooter,
You’ll be pretty close to where I’m located. There are some really fine deer in nonresident zone 3. Loess hills has larger tracks of public. But you will probably have better luck looking at some of the smaller pieces toward the southern portion of the zone. Especially if you are planning on coming in November.

Scooter,
You’ll be pretty close to where I’m located. There are some really fine deer in nonresident zone 3. Loess hills has larger tracks of public. But you will probably have better luck looking at some of the smaller pieces toward the southern portion of the zone. Especially if you are planning on coming in November.
I'm planning on end of October early November. How has the weather been there much flooding and problems getting crops in?

Weather has come around. Most were able to get all their crops in with the exception for the 2-3 miles, depending on location, right along the Missouri River. The public ground bordering it will probably be tough this year considering it’s pretty much a foot of sand. But as you get east of the river you’ll be fine. Biggest issue you are going to run into with the late October portion this year is the crops got in the ground really late this year due to the wet weather and that will translate to late getting out most likely. This part of the state can get tough while crops are in but hopefully they are out close to then.

Weather has come around. Most were able to get all their crops in with the exception for the 2-3 miles, depending on location, right along the Missouri River. The public ground bordering it will probably be tough this year considering it’s pretty much a foot of sand. But as you get east of the river you’ll be fine. Biggest issue you are going to run into with the late October portion this year is the crops got in the ground really late this year due to the wet weather and that will translate to late getting out most likely. This part of the state can get tough while crops are in but hopefully they are out close to then.
Yes I was thinking the same thing. In Michigan we have farmers still planting right now, so much for knee high by the 4th. I'm headed that way next month Antelope hunting if I have some free time I'll probably stop and do some scouting.

If you need some suggestions on a couple places to start in the souther portion pm me and I’d be glad to recommend a couple areas. I hunt private around home here so would be glad to help out.

Back