Interesting podcast on NM wildlife

Interesting take on real-estate ads and big game tags associated with real-estate sales. Marketing wildlife that is "problematic " to other land owners. Somewhere around 45th minute.

Great podcast. I listened to it last week and got all fired up, but thought at least this isn’t Montana….then I caught myself. Not for everyone, but educational.

Just listened to it.
Lot's of not facts in there if you ask me. I understand the non landowner view,but not based on the flawed info they are fed. By the usual sort of truth retellers here.

E-plus has been going under some changes the last few years.
Most units now require a minimum acreage to be enrolled, and mine is now around 3000ac. Not 5 ac or 20.
Those with less are in the Small Contributing Ranch lottery,which needs overhaul too.

Maybe 40% of NM is public lands. And it is questionable how public the State Trust Lands are in NM.

Never seen a rancher nor outfitter that sat on tags as stated,if they had them. Maybe some ranchers did not convert all the cow tags.
But every outfitter will sell any and all tags if they can,& twice on Sundays. The whole outfitter welfare deal is a different deal than E-plus.

As for realtors stretching the truth,well...I know of that one, who was on the podcast. Sounds like someone likes the property values going up. Or they want it to be like MT or TX with most ranches owned or leased by they're buddies...

LO tags don't just come with the property. One must apply or re-apply for the program every year.

The number of applicants in NM,resident & non has gone up every year the last 5 years. By a lot.

Now I have never drawn a true Gila tag,the Caldera or such, but I drew tags again this year. Some folks just don't know how or where to apply.
And some are just lucky.

I meet all the E-plus criteria,am in the program,the Elk Habitat Enhancement Program and yes, I got tags,this year.
And I gave them all away. To some nice folks I know.

I upset an insthuntress the other day by asking her how she manages to beat the NM non resident draw odds the other day. Her answer was landowner tags and then she went to playing the victim by being asked

I listened to the first one, from the Elkshape guy then this one on the way to Texas. I find it amazing how little the Elkshape guy knew then the implication from BHA that E-plus was some kind of complex hidden secret. Toss in the usual half truths or plain bull crap from NMWF (NM BHA and NMWF are essentially one in the same) and you have ingredients for a podcast.

I have also talked to folks recently who were in the program and now get nothing or don't qualify. The rules,regulations and requirements are right there online folks.
Check the CCR rules section folks.

One friend just can't seem to find the whole Elk Habitat Improvement Program online and deals with some joker who claims elk manager in NW district,LOL, instead of driving an hour to SF and talk to the head of E-plus in person to get his ?'s answered correctly. Or calling him....lol.

Been inundated from NMWF lately & BHA....LOL

How about a NM mule deer decline article?

Back