PEAX Equipment

Input on rifle, new or upgrade

TwistedSage

I currently have a 308 savage model 11 hog hunter that has served me well the last 6 years. When I bought it I had no idea I'd be hunting open country like this some day. Served me well in TX and PA and I took my first muley with it last season in NM. I do like the action, the trigger, and the 20 in barrel with factory threads.

However with the medium contour barrel it's not the lightest at about 7.5(rifle only) lbs and the stock it came with is so damn flimsy, it has a internal magazine which I used to not mind stand hunting but for hunting out west I would really prefer a detachable box magazine. The thought of a flatter shooting round does intrigue me too.

I have been bouncing around buying a lightweight mountain rifle such as the tikka t3x lite. Or something of comparable weight and price. Either in 7mm rem mag or 30 06 which I am also wrestling with.

Or I could possibly upgrade to a stiffer stock and detachable box mag hopefully without making it too much heavier and put a better scope on the 308.

What say you's

Last edited:
I say that there are many light weight rifles out there. Bag one of them! Remington Model 7 - 6#; Kimber - start at 4# 13 ozs for the Adirondack; The Tikka, etc. Oops, forgot Howa. Randys favorites must have something around 6#. Pick one as they're all available in favorite calibers!

The 30 06 isnt going to be much flatter shooting than your 308. It’s a great cartridge, but not a lot of advantage over the 308. As for guns, I would handle some and see what fits you. Tikkas don’t fit me, but others love them.

Looks like you have good reasons to go get the tikka t3 in 7mm. Then you will be happy.

Nice gun that will certainly do the job, but there are some options that would be an upgrade. I personally wouldn't get a 30 06 because it's too similar to your .308. If you want a caliber with great BC, some good options are 28 nosler, 280 AI, 7 mm rem mag, or something like a 300 prc if you want to go bigger. Lots of great options when deciding where to get it from. Browning Hells Canyon, Tikka T3, Kimber Hunter or Mountain, Howa, etc... However, lighter doesn't always mean better, depending on your style of hunting and how you will be using it.

I agree with above. Buy a new rifle and I’d be looking at a 7mm mag or 7-08.

I'm a fan of the 7mm, but I went the extreme weather model 70 Winchester. In my opinion if you're going the light weight gun make sure it has a brake on it to less the recoil.

Thanks all. Damn that M48 Mountain Carbon looks like a top. Maybe some day.
I was also really interested in both the 28 nosler and 280AI but from a quick glance priced myself out of them. I would like a step up from my savage coach gun to the business class but I cant afford first class for sure. I would love to stay close to 1200 for the rifle and scope.

I am about to take the 308 out to the range to make sure I'm over her.

Have you thought of just upgrading to another 308 with a longer barrel? Then you'd have two guns same ammo!

Isn't the Savage coach gun a shotgun?
I beleive so, I was just making a stupid reference to airline classes and not being able to afford the top of the line.

The hog hunter and I both shot great yesterday. Might be because hunting season is over and I had the range to myself so there was no pressure. Every shot felt good and I shot bug holes in a couple different groups at 200. I came to the conclusion that I do love this rifle and I could improve it with a better stock but I can not make it something it not, a lightweight rifle.

A new rifle is in my near future. I would like to set my budget for the rifle only at 800.

I would not discount some of the WSM calibers that allow comparable ballistics in an short action which will obviously means less weight, with the added benefit of a shorter bolt throw. My all around hunting rifle is a Browning X-bolt stainless stalker in 300 wsm, and while the buy in price is a bit higher than what you are looking for I could not recommend the caliber more. The variety of bullet weights and options in 30 cal is great, and the recoil reduction from my old Savage 7mm is very noticeable.

I would look at the Kimber hunter or the Tikka T-3i lite ss. Both are lite and good shooting and in your price range. If you really want a lite rifle you have to start at a rifle weight of approx. 6 lbs. and when you are done setting it up it will be 7+.

I wouldn’t discount the Remington 700 Mountain SS in 7-08 that’s in the classifieds here.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back