Caribou Gear Tarp

Info on Wyoming elk area 129

WyoDoug

Looking for stories and hints on hunting Bishop Rd area mainly north. Hunting buddy who used to live in the area will be in and out. So I will be on my own with two others from Arkansas and I want to increase my odds. I will be taking my bow and doing archery deer at same time. Hunting first two weeks of September during rut.

You are decreasing your odds by creating a thread on the world wide web talking about specific roads and areas within a unit. A general one at that.

Feel free to respond via pm. I come from Colorado and helped people increase their odds and looking for hints and places to look at on Google Earth and On-x. I am interested in anything about 129. I refuse to use an outfitter as I gained an allergy to them as a result of an incident in Colorado.

Looking for stories and hints on hunting Bishop Rd area mainly north. Hunting buddy who used to live in the area will be in and out. So I will be on my own with two others from Arkansas and I want to increase my odds. I will be taking my bow and doing archery deer at same time. Hunting first two weeks of September during rut.
Doug, it’s been around ten years since I had that tag and things change. At that time, you could go for miles without seeing elk and there was very little public land. Sounds like your friend has a starting point.

I got an idea where they are coming and going from surrounding private land but past that not a good understanding yet on how to hunt that land. There is a difference there. I am leaning toward parking my but on a bench near the ridge where they do that and just glassing. Deer I am not worried about. Last time I drove through the area, I saw a ton of whitetail does. If I can't fill the general deer tag, I can still come home and use it locally so not worried about deer. Just trying to figure out elk behavior in that area.

I don't know... General elk area in Wyoming that's open for rifle during the rut. Just sounds like a difficult hunt. If that's the way G&F has run that area in the past, it sounds like elk would be extremely hard to find - at least on public land. If I had that tag, I think I'd send out locator bugles along the top of ridges and try close the distance to any bull that answers. Try to keep them answering locator bugles while closing the distance, but I wouldn't get too aggressive since you'd only need to get into rifle range. Good luck.

That's my first instinct but the road we go in is technically a private road and although the gas company has a public easement, people don't seem to know that. There will be about 4 hunters where we are at. I have only done elk calls playing around but I did draw a big herd bull (and I mean big grampa) in when I lived in Colorado while I was in a tree stand that trashed the oak brush under me. I only had the camera with me then doing scouting. Going to be interesting using them to actually hunt the first time. Other than that, I have only used cow calls to stop them long enough to shoot or to get them to turn so I had a broadside shot.

That's my first instinct but the road we go in is technically a private road and although the gas company has a public easement, people don't seem to know that. There will be about 4 hunters where we are at. I have only done elk calls playing around but I did draw a big herd bull (and I mean big grampa) in when I lived in Colorado while I was in a tree stand that trashed the oak brush under me. I only had the camera with me then doing scouting. Going to be interesting using them to actually hunt the first time. Other than that, I have only used cow calls to stop them long enough to shoot or to get them to turn so I had a broadside shot.
Thanks for the hot tip. Never knew about that easement. Hope no one else reads this...

Thanks for the hot tip. Never knew about that easement. Hope no one else reads this...

I have always done better when there is hunting pressure so I am not worried about that. I don’t view it the same as my fishing spots. I do mostly still hunting and will sit all day sometimes if I see enough sign in the area so bring it on LOL

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back