In Need Of A 20 Gauge Slug Gun...

I got lucky and drew a pretty good deer tag here in Oregon that has weapon limitation of shotgun, muzzleloader or bow. I have a muzzleloader that I can kill with at 100 yards and a bow that I am confident with out of 50 yards on deer size target. In Oregon you can use a scope on a shotgun but not a muzzleloader for some reason and my eyesight isn't what it used to be and open sights can be pretty frustrating. The hunt is also in some fairly open country and I would like to be able to shoot out to 150 yards which leads me in search of a slug gun. Apparently nobody is currently making them and after several days of searching I am getting frustrated. The only new 20 gauge slug gun I can find is a Savage bolt action which will work if it has to but I really want a single shot like a Thompson Center Encore of the much less expensive CVA Hunter. HR also makes a good one. Any suggestions on a shop that might have one of those? Anybody have one they want to sell? Just thought I would throw it out there, thanks!
I have a Savage 220 and it shoots great. I replaced the stock with a coffee laminate from Boyd's, bedded it and topped it with a Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9. It shoots great. I have shot Hornady SST's through it and it shoots great. I also have a TC ProHunter and it tends to shoot a little better, but no fast follow up shot if needed.

blacksheep

If I needed a shotgun for slugs (I have 2 12 gauge shotguns Rem 870 and MossB 500) I would totally go for an Ithaca DeerSlayer

I had a savage 220 and sold it. It shot remington accutips really well. Only sold it to get a 450 bushmaster since our regulations changed to allow straight walled cartridges in special regs areas. I'm not sure if you're on other forums but there's a guy on rokslide forum selling a scoped 220 with a ton of ammo for a pretty good price.

I had a savage 220 and sold it. It shot remington accutips really well. Only sold it to get a 450 bushmaster since our regulations changed to allow straight walled cartridges in special regs areas. I'm not sure if you're on other forums but there's a guy on rokslide forum selling a scoped 220 with a ton of ammo for a pretty good price.
Useless post without a link :) Now I’ll have to look for it.

PM inbound with the link...trying not to share links to other forums but the price he's asking is pretty good if you buy the ammo which I strongly suggest you buy it all
I agree. If I was looking for a 220 I would buy the whole package.

The OP has found a gun. I have one for sale with a leupold scope if anyone is looking.

I have a Mossberg 500 and Savage 220. The Mossberg is complete garbage. I can’t even use it, even with the fully rifled barrel. The 220 is just plain sweet.
I know some guys love the mossbergs but man those things are shit, I've seen two of them explode.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back