Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I'm just Bored.

I'm 65, in semi retirement, single, do NOT want to go chasing floozies, So I'm thinking of some educational class to simulate my physcie. I have a BS in business, a MBA, and an on line Barnes University completion certificate (liked that one, learned a lot).

I really can't attend in-class because I do midnights (guard duty), that gives me more than enough time to study....

What field would you choose in this situation?
If I had more free time (wife, 5 kids 12-6) the things on the top of my list to learn are:
Making Knives
Trapping
Reloading

also with your knowledge there are young guys like me looking for mentors who can help them with life and learning the outdoors - these may be less. Nowadays unfortunately.
You also could start prepping and planning for some big adventures? Always wanted to hunt Alaska, start planning and come on up! I hope you find a variety of things that you enjoy and continue to grow you as a person and I hope you find some comrades in life to enjoy it with!

If I had more free time (wife, 5 kids 12-6) the things on the top of my list to learn are:
Making Knives
Trapping
Reloading

also with your knowledge there are young guys like me looking for mentors who can help them with life and learning the outdoors - these may be less. Nowadays unfortunately.
You also could start prepping and planning for some big adventures? Always wanted to hunt Alaska, start planning and come on up! I hope you find a variety of things that you enjoy and continue to grow you as a person and I hope you find some comrades in life to enjoy it with!
One of my big "I wanna..." that never got done was hunt bear on Kodiak Island.
But a buddy invited me on a fishing trip to Kodiak!
Bear hunt?
Nope!
But I made it up 3 times to fish. ('10, '12, '15)
Had an absolute blast!
Memories I'll never forget!

I took some free on-line classes during a slow phase at work (yes, I got paid to sit around and do almost nothing). The one I remember enjoying was a US Energy class from some university in Alabama(?). Many universities allow you to take the whole class for free - they only charge if you want credit towards a degree. It's an amazing resource.

The Barnes course was an in-depth reloading course, (A Very Good one)
Learned fly tying, trapping, archery as a teen
Computer programing was my minor in under grad.
I spent 40 yrs 'traveling' between the Corps and my later job before I semi-retired
Wine & brandy making in college. Ever drink 60 proof wine?

I'm actually looking for something I can do on-line, when I'm at work. The building has been on lock down for over 9 months now, so I'm the only person there from midnight to 6AM.

The Barnes course was an in-depth reloading course, (A Very Good one)
Learned fly tying, trapping, archery as a teen
Computer programing was my minor in under grad.
I spent 40 yrs 'traveling' between the Corps and my later job before I semi-retired
Wine & brandy making in college. Ever drink 60 proof wine?

I'm actually looking for something I can do on-line, when I'm at work. The building has been on lock down for over 9 months now, so I'm the only person there from midnight to 6AM.
More online - yeah there is alot of stuff online now... more then I know of. I spend alot of time studying maps, reseraching and trying to plan for my next hunt because I don't have alone time at home to do it. So I use my 'free time' between tasks and customers here at work to do as much as I can. I'm also looking to read more.
Reading would be another one. You can read online to. I think I need to spend more time reading and not just great books (Lord of the Rings, etc) but challenging and informative books (I have Sheep Hunting in Alaska, Float Hunting Alaksa, Bushcraft Basics: A Common Sense Wilderness Survival Handbook, Bushcraft Basics: A Common Sense Wilderness Survival Handbook) and there are many other books that can challenge us and help us to think and grow. Just another thought.

In regards to gunsmithing has anyone taken any of the online offerings and if so what did you think? I have looked at a few but not sure if I would be better off just investing in a few good books and putting tuition money into tools instead. Not looking to make a career out of it but if I could moonlight that might be cool. I would also possibly use the skills in retirement just to keep myself moving and maybe making some hunting trip cheddar.

When I was a kid, 13 I used to build fishing rods, tying on guides finishing, that sort of thing. Still have the ones I built. Not beautiful by any stretch but a little self pride in them.

I'm 65, in semi retirement, single, do NOT want to go chasing floozies, So I'm thinking of some educational class to simulate my physcie. I have a BS in business, a MBA, and an on line Barnes University completion certificate (liked that one, learned a lot).

I really can't attend in-class because I do midnights (guard duty), that gives me more than enough time to study....

What field would you choose in this situation?
I reevaluate your position on the whole "floozie"thing.

Gunsmithing requires a huge outlay in space and $$$ for the necessary tools. I would go with woodworking. It's amazing what you can do with just a few general tools that can be used for a variety of things. I would suggest starting out with a contractor table saw (portability), slider chop saw, router (eventually upgrade to plunge router and put the standard one in a router table), and a pair of hand drills (one corded and one cordless). If you have the room, also a drill press. Best place to shop for power tools is the pawn shops. Guys are always upgrading and dumping their old tools. Almost forgot the Dremel tool. It's probably my most often used tool, especially for taxidermy.

If you are interested in taxidermy, pretty much everything can be learned on line from helpful videos posted by folks in the trade or by ordering instructional DVDs. I put my daughter through a course in Montana a couple of years ago and it was definitely NOT worth the money. Subsequent conversations with other very successful taxidermists confirmed what I'm passing on here: most of the "taxidermy schools" are very basic ... at best. Usually a joke. One thing we have learned is the online taxidermists community is a very friendly and helpful bunch. I am a highly educated former educator, but I will tell you without reservation this is DIY learning at it's best. The internet is a marvelous thing. Sometimes.

Last edited:
I was gonna say reloading, but looks like you have that covered. Photography would be my next suggestion.

I can't believe nobody has suggested Vampire slayer. Geesh, they guy is a Marine and works Midnight to 6am. Perfect time for the blood suckers to be out.

Find what archaeological sites are within a reasonable drive of where you live and go visit them after reading and learning about them. I find that stuff to be much more interesting when I am seeing it in person than it actually sounds. Floozies though… Not a bad idea

become a consultant for hire...find some folks who want to start a biz and help them navigate.

When I was in the military and single I used to go to the education office and schedule CLEP tests every week for something to do. Scored a ton of college credits that way. Now I look for things that interest me and research the hell out of them.

I have gotten pretty good at google searches and have become pretty proficient at finding people on line. I have tracked down people I have worked with 30 years ago in less than an hour. Most recently I was on the phone with a lady from one of our insurance vendors and tracked her down to her home address and phone number while talking to her on the phone. Found out that she was originally from Korea and had "Americanized" her name when she immigrated. She was surprised to say the least as she avoids social media like the plague (or COVID now). I might have a future career as a skip tracer or a private detective who knows. You-tube is another great place to learn about things that you might want to try.

The point is the same as others have said, find something that interests you or something you think might interest you. Do some research and see where it takes you. NEVER stop learning new things as it keeps your mind active and the dreams alive.

Time to bump this thread.
Just retired at the beginning of the year at age 63. I realize that it's winter and things can be slow..... however, I am so bored!!!! Coffee with the boys in the morning, then too much TV. Ice fishing is slow, walks with the dogs, pickleball, dancing some weekends. Just having trouble keeping busy during the day. I read that "you grow into retirement". I am beginning to think that it's true.
When spring comes I've decided to drive a truck for the local Co-op. Put in for some volunteer jobs at the Mayo Clinic. Gardening and trout fishing.
Never realized how much working all my life has kept me busy.
Maybe I'll learn a language like some one suggested.

Anybody know about "mushroom farming"???

good luck to all,
the dog

I too am now retired (from LE for the third time 🤷‍♂️). I just started delivering car parts a couple days per week for a national chain. I told them about all the time I would not be able to work during the year : turkey season, walleye runs, a couple fishing trips to Canada this summer, and definitely not working mid-September through mid-December. They didn't care. They were just happy to have someone show up with a valid driver's license that could pass a piss test. I can also watch the weather and work any days too chitty to hunt, fish, or do other things. The lack of people wanting to work is very sad for employers, but lots of doors open for us retired folks with a bit of time on their hands. Of course the extra $$ will be rolled into my Hunting fund !!

I too am now retired (from LE for the third time 🤷‍♂️). I just started delivering car parts a couple days per week for a national chain. I told them about all the time I would not be able to work during the year : turkey season, walleye runs, a couple fishing trips to Canada this summer, and definitely not working mid-September through mid-December. They didn't care. They were just happy to have someone show up with a valid driver's license that could pass a piss test. I can also watch the weather and work any days too chitty to hunt, fish, or do other things. The lack of people wanting to work is very sad for employers, but lots of doors open for us retired folks with a bit of time on their hands. Of course the extra $$ will be rolled into my Hunting fund !!
Yep, I do drive swaps for auto dealerships. However. I ve only been called once. Living in the rural area doesn't help.

Back