Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

If I only knew this when I first started backpacking....

Extra socks and whiskey will get a backpacker through most problems. Oh, and take a goddamn first aid kit. We all fantasize about dropping a wild whatsit with a sidearm, but in reality we’ll need bandages more frequently.

I've always thought those who know what they are doing are always looking for something to take out of their pack, not put something in.

I don't claim to have arrived, but on that note will anyone chime in about trail-runners as substitutes for boots? I went through several pairs of boots until one year I had tennis shoes for camp shoes. That time, I had wet boots and hiked out in my tennis shoes. Once my boots get wet, I can't dry them fast enough. Since that trip, I've used all-terrain tennis shoes in mild weather. They were great with a 50+ pound pack. I agree with an earlier statement on this thread that if your ankles are strong, there's little need for the extra support.

This fall, I'm chucking my all-terrains to trail runners (Inov-8 Mud claws). I find comfort in the idea of having shoes that dry out faster once wet. Smart wool socks to keep feet warm.

Anyone who's tried trail runners in snow? Thoughts?

I prefer trail runners through September and into early October depending on weather. In rain I use bridgedale or darn tough wool socks with a Rocky Gore-tex sock overtop. That way the shoes can be soaked but feet stay dry.

Tail end of October into November I prefer to move to a lightweight waterproof boot. My current favorite is the Scarpa Zodiac Plus. Gaiters can be added or subtracted depending on forecast.

Reactions: JAG
I don't claim to have arrived, but on that note will anyone chime in about trail-runners as substitutes for boots? I went through several pairs of boots until one year I had tennis shoes for camp shoes. That time, I had wet boots and hiked out in my tennis shoes. Once my boots get wet, I can't dry them fast enough. Since that trip, I've used all-terrain tennis shoes in mild weather. They were great with a 50+ pound pack. I agree with an earlier statement on this thread that if your ankles are strong, there's little need for the extra support.

This fall, I'm chucking my all-terrains to trail runners (Inov-8 Mud claws). I find comfort in the idea of having shoes that dry out faster once wet. Smart wool socks to keep feet warm.

They can work, just depends on the person. I've bp hunted and hauled big loads in Inov-8's, Altra, and Hoka. As long as you know your body and your feet the weight savings and quick drying can be worth it. I've used them into Novembrer with a toe warmer insert and had warmer feet than partners in their stiff insulated boots. There are times where I've also missed the physical protection of a full leather boot in boulder fields and do also use a heavier Crispi at times. Every gear choice is a compromise to some extent.

Taking care of your feet is a top priority, and for me liner socks go a long way in preventing blisters. Moleskin and duct tape go a long way in maintaining blisters if you do happen to get them.

Wow, lots of great replies about trail-runners and reducing weight. It seems flexibility and preparation are still the key intangibles.

Wow, lots of great replies about trail-runners and reducing weight. It seems flexibility and preparation are still the key intangibles.

Trail runners are fine if you have an easy bailout if things go wrong. I can blow out a pair of trail runners in a day. My weight is a factor plus I am hard on shoes. I have worn the tread off of overmolded trail runner soles in less than two weeks before. Hiking shoes typically last for 4 months for me. I have had the same pair of Lowa boots for 5 years now and they are just starting to show wear. I also don't like to wear trail runners for off trail work in the desert because of cactus and thorns. A little bit of extra weight for the extra protection and a lot more durability is an easy choice for me.

When chit gets tough... get tougher - mentally.

As @hike2hunt mentioned, a cooler w/ cold drinks...
I don't have one of those fancy, high $ 10 day coolers however, I always have a gallon of water in the truck.

Trail runners are fine if you have an easy bailout if things go wrong. I can blow out a pair of trail runners in a day. My weight is a factor plus I am hard on shoes. I have worn the tread off of overmolded trail runner soles in less than two weeks before. Hiking shoes typically last for 4 months for me. I have had the same pair of Lowa boots for 5 years now and they are just starting to show wear. I also don't like to wear trail runners for off trail work in the desert because of cactus and thorns. A little bit of extra weight for the extra protection and a lot more durability is an easy choice for me.
That has been my experience with trail runners when going off-trail here in SW Montana as well. The thorns find their way through the lightweight construction and even through the thinner soles. And it only takes one thorn breaking through to bring my progress to an immediate stop.

do many here do multi-day backpacking for elk? unless you have a few buddies joining you, going to be quite the weeklong ordeal getting that animal out if you're 2-3 days from the truck

When backpacking and your partner tells you " Not much farther to go to reach camp" actually means " suck it up we still have 2 mile and three ridges up and down we need to get across" haha

When backpacking and your partner tells you " Not much farther to go to reach camp" actually means " suck it up we still have 2 mile and three ridges up and down we need to get across" haha
I learned to try to pair up with someone in about the same physical shape as you are or one that moves slow and deliberate when hunting and not in such a hurry to get there. If hunting partners lose patience with each other, hunting is no longer fun.

New tent and rain gear are my hot items. I never thought of a vestibule tent, I was wondering how I'd dry equipment off.
You can always pack a military grade poncho. These make great lean-to's, are light and durable, and have numerous uses.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back