Ideas for Podcasts

Ben Sellers

I'd like to suggest a couple of podcasts or youtube episodes:

A little bit before season do a safety/first aid prep episode to remind people and help them prepare for accidents and illnesses.

Long distance travel tips and techniques.

An update on the overall mule deer herd health and population trends with Jim Heffelfinger. Also some tips on how to hunt mule deer might be good. Edit: Oops-I see there was a similar podcast in February that I missed.

As aways discussion of elk food, habits, habitat is welcome.

Last edited:
I agree with the above ideas.
Another is to review or discuss current / recent attempts to reintroduce elk herds or bison back into the wild. There are some excellent discussions on hunt talk as well as a great local (Tennessee) example of successfully reintroducing elk. They are such powerful examples of ongoing, meaningful conservation efforts across our country.

There's been a managed elk hunt here in Boulder county Colorado for 4 years now. I'd love to hear a podcast with the cpw and county officers biologist and land managers.

Everybody loves a good gear episode the summer before the season, so maybe a newer episode on boots? I think the last one about backcountry boot tips/selection was back in 2018 but please correct me if I’m wrong. And that latest episode w gerber about the new Newberg knife was fantastic. I really enjoyed hearing about all the prototypes, them sending 3D printed parts for field testing, and Randy’s experience during the whole process. Can’t get enough on gear selection and unfiltered reviews about what we need to know.

@TriStar Hunt - We are working on a podcast that I think will meet what you are asking for. Can't explain all the details at this time, but it has been in the works since last hunting season.

Have you guys ever thought about doing a part of the show on small game? Sometimes the elk/deer/bear aren't cooperating. In my last elk hunt in CO, that was the case and one of the highlights was my hunting buddy slamming on the brakes and running around to the back of the truck to blast 3 grouse. We ate good that night... :-D Anyhow, just a thought.

There usually bits about grouse in bow season on the YouTube videos. There’s also muskrat trapping as well. Some of the Arizona videos are loaded with small game.

That’s all YouTube stuff. Not as much on the podcast. Some discussion on how to extend your hunt if you tag out early could be good. Overviews of grouse, rabbit, and squirrel hunting. A little trout fishing mixed in perhaps?

I wouldn’t mind hearing about rules of the lands, BLM, state, trust lands, national forests, wildlife study areas etc etc for hunting Camping fires Crossing wire fences can you sight your gun prior to season on BLM or state ground. And last but not least: get right down to the specifics of hunting ground and accessibility with road right of ways or whatever it takes to access, maybe even cover the hot topic of checkerboard and corner hopping and what size pole vault you need to do so to launch yourself. Thanks @bigfin

Brian

Have Remi Warren back on for a “fireside chat” on any number of topics: public hunting, how to represent hunters well to non-hunters, taking better photos than the traditional grip n grins, being a guide and business owner during covid, etc. It would be another great episode of the two of them sharing experiences and views.

I'd like to hear about the firsts:. First time in NM, NV, UT, etc. What you expected, what really happened, what lessons were hard learned.

After taking my second trip of out of state rookies to WY and going to NM for the first time, there's still a lot to learn.

Also, some more of those "nobodies" from around hunting that aren't names. Early on there were some of those. That would be cool.

Hello Mr. Newberg, I hope your able to read this message. I am a big fan of your platforms, I am also a student of wildlife biology. Im trying to ask of you to invite a guest speaker to your hunt talk platform. Professor Ernest helped write an article about bighorn sheep that was publish on gohunt.com. I do believe it would be widely benefited to the world of conservation to have a conversation about this and how to move forward in the future. Please look at the article and I would love to see professor Ernest on hunt talk radio one day speaking about the latest research on biodiversity, and how it affects the herds. Here is the link. Thank you for your time.

New to big game hunting. Really enjoying consuming all of the content out there.

Reflecting on today’s podcast “When the elk don’t get the memo” I really, really liked the stories between you all about when things don’t quite go right. Since I don’t want to ruin anything for everybody who will be listening this weekend,
I’ll be vague
and
I’ll add in a Spoiler Alert:
Really hoping you do a behind the scene YouTube story on these funny moments you all shared
- people new to camping who decide to camp right next to you despite acres upon acres of available space
- the “rolling boulders” elk method (thankfully you’re all okay). Don’t want to ruin the story.
- basic parking brake and vehicle management for the DIY hunter 😆

Seriously, thank you again. Brought back so many great memories of hunting w my friends and family when things don’t go right and then it all ends up making an even greater memory.
And just so people don’t think I’m ragging on you all this is coming from a guy who has fallen asleep in his blind..maybe more than once... accidentally walked into a slew when “quietly” stalking birds, once believed my dad when he told me coots are a rare and prized bird, and once tried to run after a deer who was also running to “get closer for a better shot” somehow. Again, thank you for the great stories. Gets me pumped for hunting 2021 and making great memories.

We have all thought about what we would do if we had to spend the night in the mountains in inclement weather. How about a guest who is an expert in survival who gives the technical info but mixes in a bunch of stories. Maybe a search and rescue guy?

We have all thought about what we would do if we had to spend the night in the mountains in inclement weather. How about a guest who is an expert in survival who gives the technical info but mixes in a bunch of stories. Maybe a search and rescue guy?
John Barclow might be ideal for this if he has time.

Back