Idaho zone 50 (pioneer zone)

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum, it took me a while to figure out how to lol.
I’m 21 and live in ohio, I got started western hunting when I was twelve. My dad brought me out the first time and ever since then I went back alone almost every year. This will be my 8th western hunting trip this September. I’ve killed several mule deer including a nice 190” I kill stalked in 2015. I started out hunting deer and worked my way into elk. This will be my fifth year elk hunting. I killed my first elk with my bow last year, it was a cow which I know doesn’t excite any of you but that was the most exciting thing I’ve ever done. Four years of hunting alone and trying to figure out the whole elk thing was frustrating and discouraging at times. I have successfully found elk every year but you all know how bow hunting is, getting within 200 yards of an elk is easy, it’s the last 150 that took me four years.
I’ve hunted near the town of mackay and had a lot of success finding elk in the same 6-8 square mile area every year but I want to branch out this year and try new places. I’m taking 16 days for my trip this year to allow time to branch out. Just wondering if anyone else on here is familiar with zone 50 specifically the mackay copper basin/smiley mountain area and if they have any advice on which would be worth my time to dive into. I’m not at all asking for anyone’s hunting spot, I plan on hitting copper basin and smiley mountain just to learn the area but just wonder if it will be worth giving up the 2-3 days of my trip to make a scouting trip back in there.
Any info on the mackay area would be awesome and if anyone’s in the area during the 2nd-3rd week of September and needs help on a pack out or needs a hunting buddy just let me know. I hope to move to Idaho in about three years and would love to get to know more people out there. Thanks guys!! I’ve loved the forum so far!

Welcome.

Oh to be 21 again....

I can't help you with unit 50 area other than I'll be out there in Nov chasing mulies with my muzzy.

Other than wasting some time, exploring new areas is not a bad thing.

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forum, it took me a while to figure out how to lol.

You are 21 and couldn't figure out how to sign on to a hunting social media site? That is funny :)

Welcome aboard. Lets see some photos!

Welcome.

Oh to be 21 again....

I can't help you with unit 50 area other than I'll be out there in Nov chasing mulies with my muzzy.

Other than wasting some time, exploring new areas is not a bad thing.

Be sure to keep an eye on the fires this year. There is a very large fire in unit 49 heading east towards 50.

Will do man thanks for the heads up! I was in some smoke last year but not enough to smoke me out. Sure hope it’s not a problem this year, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back