Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho Unit 54 rut hunt

Congratulations on drawing a great tag. I live 10 minutes from unit 54 and it is a great unit that holds lots of deer with some great size potential. We had a mild winter and strong feed this spring, it should be a good season. Let me know if I can help you and your wife on this hunt!
Sending you a Pm

Congratulations on drawing a great tag. I live 10 minutes from unit 54 and it is a great unit that holds lots of deer with some great size potential. We had a mild winter and strong feed this spring, it should be a good season. Let me know if I can help you and your wife on this hunt!
We are in this unit now with our granddaughter, we are having a hard time finding even doe. Lots and lots of road hunters. Weve braved the snow, weve went high and low and have stayed alot yo the west side of the unit but have went over to Monument peak, weve spent alot of time around deadline ridge too. Weve seen more moose than deer both buck and does combined. We cant figure out if we are in the totally wrong areas or has the deer population just crashed. Any advice would be appreciated!

We are in this unit now with our granddaughter, we are having a hard time finding even doe. Lots and lots of road hunters. Weve braved the snow, weve went high and low and have stayed alot yo the west side of the unit but have went over to Monument peak, weve spent alot of time around deadline ridge too. Weve seen more moose than deer both buck and does combined. We cant figure out if we are in the totally wrong areas or has the deer population just crashed. Any advice would be appreciated!
Welcome to hunt talk

Only thing missing is being a veteran, old and your last hunt, just need the meat.

Searching the archives would be your best move.

Only thing missing is being a veteran, old and your last hunt, just need the meat.

Searching the archives would be your best move.
Wasnt even talking about any of those its a youth hunt douche bag! We are actually teaching our granddaughter the right way and not just tag the first thing that comes along and use the lame saying about meat. I would rather eat the tag than teach her to kill a young buck but to each his own. When someone asks for advice they arent asking for someones secret spot, never knew it was a crime to ask people that are skilled in the area for some tips. Dod I offend you so bad you just had to jump on here and mock me for no reason? Theres actually much more to this hunt but you arent worth sharing it with, bless your heart!

Deer are everywhere in the unit. Lots of tags and pressure but bucks can be found, best advice is find the pockets people aren’t in. Don’t be afraid to go south into the desert either. Get out of the popular areas.

Wasnt even talking about any of those its a youth hunt douche bag! We are actually teaching our granddaughter the right way and not just tag the first thing that comes along and use the lame saying about meat. I would rather eat the tag than teach her to kill a young buck but to each his own. When someone asks for advice they arent asking for someones secret spot, never knew it was a crime to ask people that are skilled in the area for some tips. Dod I offend you so bad you just had to jump on here and mock me for no reason? Theres actually much more to this hunt but you arent worth sharing it with, bless your heart!
Lol not sure about the double bag comment? 😅
Says the guy wanting info?

FWIW lots of one hit wonders asking for info under the umbrella of veteran, child, old etc.
I have personally been 🔥 tooo many times to fall for a new member.

Legitimate advise. Check the archives, seems like you did not properly scout the unit and now are looking at what should be a good hunt into a scrambling search.

Last edited:
Wow! You seem like a helluva nice guy. I bet you get lots of smoking hot tips.

Good luck to your granddaughter. Probably like you, I would have thought that would be a pretty sweet tag this last week of October.

@perma has hunted this unit and knows it well
Absolutely!

Unit 54 boast a very healthy mule deer population, especially for those who prefer to truck hunt and shoot the smallest forkie out there. Those pure elitest flat brimmer hunters will also go the extra mile (off of any trail that is) and get the adjacent NV tag and ride their ATV in and out of each state looking for that perfect buck. Rip your puffy jacket because it got caught in the gun scabbard? No problem, a short 4 hour drive to Ketchum ID will get you a brand new First Lite Uncompahgre jacket from the actual store itself. Be sure to say hi to Steve when you’re there! The mule deer rut seems to happen from late September all the way to late January so be sure to take extra time to be out there with your new puffy all day to weather those nasty snowstorms.

I think this is a great unit with a lot of trophy potential. Access is good and if you can grind it out usually find a good one.

Goose creek is really a hot area for rutting bucks. Especially if you nudge in there from the rock creek side and slow roll it. You're gonna have to lace em up tight and be willing to work for it, but there's a lot of bucks in there.
Another option is to go east at Hollister then south on Abercrombie into plums creek like it's your job. Glass it hard with the sun at your back.
A little southern swing into Jackpot for some sports gambling and a little keno is always a good distraction if it gets rough out there. My kids always enjoy an evening session of video poker and have actually made me quite a bit of cash before they went off to high school. I usually let em keep a little of their winnings

I can't help with the unit info, but I will give you some info and advice....You can't just join HT and ask " where should I go?"...it's a no...no...I do see you did add where you have looked and personally you seem to have at least tried, so it's unfortunate some here gave you a hard time....that's more than others have done when coming in here asking for help.

The light heartedness of treedagain is really funny...the reason you got that was there is ALWAYS someone throwing out why you should help them...the veteran one gets used a lot...people try to play on the HT'er's sympathy....so your grandkids thing was seen as the same.

If you are on facebook, try the non-resident western big game hunters group....You might get more help in there than here....I will say though....leave the grandkid thing out of it :)

I wish you the best of luck !

Back