Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho Unit 52A for deer

Delkster

Hi All,
I have hunted units 1,2,45,52,and78 the last few years in Idaho.
Haven't hunted 52a for deer and am heading that way next week to look things over.
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. I can always help with any of the units I listed.
Shot a couple nice Bulls in 45 2 years ago.

I was there in 2014, only spent 1 day there in the desert bottom seen some does. There seemed to lots of guts/bottoms deer could slither through and you would never know it. I think im checking out 48/49 this year.

There is only one way to hunt 52A. Find the tallest hill around, hike to the top, and glass all morning and all evening with a spotter. There are millions of little fingers that they bed down in and sage brush as far as the eye can see. Its rough country and the rocks will tear up boots quick. There are a few little crab claws bucks out there, and a few bigger boys. A monster is taken out every so often. If you're lucky enough to get on some private farmland in the south portion of the unit, you can run into some good genes. I hunted the rut with a muzzleloader tag 2 years ago. Saw a couple of little bucks and decided tag soup was better.

Kinda cool country - the lava flows and such. Scouted it a couple of years ago. My plan was to sit on a tall hill and glass. Never did. Going whitetailin this Nov., and wasn't going to buy 2 tags this year.

Last edited:
I’ve been there scouting though it was years ago and would share the little I know. I did shoot a deer with a muzzleloader so long ago it was in a round ball only season. Feel free to PM me. My other memory is that we came across two sheepherders in the middle of nowhere. One was eating twizzlers from a giant Costco red vines container while his partner was hobbling along because he’d gotten too drunk and gotten banged up falling from his horse the night before. His partner thought it was hilarious and I could only think of the old joke about having a party with some drinking, dancing, and a lot of sex.. and the punchline “what should I wear?”

“Oh it doesn’t matter it’s just the two of us”

I’ve been there scouting though it was years ago and would share the little I know. I did shoot a deer with a muzzleloader so long ago it was in a round ball only season. Feel free to PM me. My other memory is that we came across two sheepherders in the middle of nowhere. One was eating twizzlers from a giant Costco red vines container while his partner was hobbling along because he’d gotten too drunk and gotten banged up falling from his horse the night before. His partner thought it was hilarious and I could only think of the old joke about having a party with some drinking, dancing, and a lot of sex.. and the punchline “what should I wear?”

“Oh it doesn’t matter it’s just the two of us”
I ran into the sheep hearders out there too. They push a big flock through there

Back