Idaho Unit 42

TRF

I drew the Idaho unit 42 tag for elk. Since this is a hard to get tag and not likely to be hunted regularly by anyone, I'm wondering if anyone is willing to share recommendations on draws and drainages I should focus on scouting in the Juniper Mountain area?

In my opinion that is the best tag in the state! Saw a legitimate 400" bull when I was down there 2 years ago on a early deer hunt, big bulls in that country if you can find them!
Matt

That's what I've been hearing. What side of the mountain were you seeing the bulls early on?

Congrats on the tag. I drew the 40-1 archery tag, which includes 42. Would be great if anyone has additional info to share. 1st scouting trip is this weekend. 7 + hour drive to get there, with 3 trips planned before the season starts.

BTW, 1st time post for me, long time lurker. I have learned a bunch from the posts on here. Thanks for having me.

That's a pretty descent unit, I hint it every year for one species or another. There will be a little bit of traffic up there do to the deer hunts. I've seen some really nice bulls on the northwest side of juniper mountain and a lot of vows on the northeast side. Never had much luck spotting any on the south side. Good luck and bring some really good glass!

I am heading out for the hunt in 40/42. Archery tag in my pocket, I think I am all set to go. Scouted a couple of weeks ago and found what I was looking for, now I have a few days to see if where the elk moved to. With very little pressure, the hunt should be exciting with the bulls all fired up.

Only thing I am nervous about is releasing an arrow on a nice bull and then having a bigger one appear. First world problems, huh? I am sure I will be happy with any bull, although this tag does put some pressure on a hunter to shoot the bull of a lifetime.

Good luck to everyone who has not notched their tag yet.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes when you get back and send us a picture!

Not likely to get an answer, he hasn’t been around in almost a year.
Hopefully someone can give you some insight.
Good luck
Jim

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back