Idaho Tradional Weapons Hunts

bowpony

The Idaho Fish and Game unit is considering starting tradional weapons hunts longbow,recurve,and blackpowder hunts.I am overall mixed on this, if I could vote on it I would vote no.I think there is to many hunts as it is,why stress the animals anymore.What do you all think?

Would it be in addition to the regular season ????? do you currently have an archery season???? im not sure how idaho works as far as seasons go but, here we have archery that opens in sept. through jan.,muzzleloader picks up for about a week in oct. then general gun opens nov. until jan. you can legally hunt archery from sept. through the end of the season in jan. traditional shooters as well as compound hunt the same seasons.

id say there should not be a seperate season for traditional archery, archers period should hunt the same seasons wether you choose to shoot a stick bow or a high tech. bow. just my .02

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Personally, I like the idea of a special traditional archery season. There are so few of trad. shooters that the impact would not be that large, but i think that it would do wonders for the sport. As far as the blackpowder goes, I don't think the new muzzleloaders can be considered traditional. Heck some of them are much more powerful than the .30.30 that our grandfathers used.

1-pointer, why would you want the special season ????? i shoot traditional as well as high tech stuff and i dont really see why there should exceptions made because someone chooses to shoot traditional stuff ?????

no flames here i just would like to know why, and what would be the real difference!!!

lets see pros and cons !!!

i think you would see a dramatic increase in traditional shooters or guys that want to be trad. shooters to take advantage of the special season.Ive been shooting both for awhile now and its much more difficult for me to shoot accurately and consistently with a stick bow, im much better shot with a compound, most of us are!!
i think you may also see an increase in wounded animals!! most compound bowhunters dont have the disipline that it takes to be a good traditional bowhunter !

i guess to me it would be like having a special season for a .243 vs. a .270 !!

just my thoughts!!!

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Interesting.

The only difference in my mind is about 15 yards. I shoot both and my effective range is that different.
It would make traditional archery grow.
But DKO has a good point about the practice, most would not and the result would be negative. JB

I see it similar to states having both a firearms season and a muzzleloader season. What is the difference, they are both guns?? That is how I see it. I am just getting into trad. archery and think that this would be a great way to promote the sport, that is all.

[This message has been edited by 1_pointer (edited 02-14-2001).]

Idaho has an archery season so I feel we are well served in that area.I agree at first there would be an increase in tradionals at first but after they find out how hard it is the less commited would be deleted.I will know more on the 22 Feb we will have an open forum on it with the fish and game.

1-pointer, i see your point
biggrin.gif
both guns both bows!!! and it would increase the popularity of trad. shooting!

hows your shooting commin along ???? have you developed a style of shooting yet or are you still trying to get the feel of things???? i know i dont practice with mine enough !!!! have you seen the book by g.fred asbell on trad. shooting ???? its a very good place to start if havent seen it!!!
anyway good luck with shooting!!

------------------
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

Shooting is coming along, somewhat. I would shoot at a deer at 10 yards. At 20 my groups get quite a bit bigger. Thanks for the tip on the book I will try to pick it up this weekend.

I apose it. I seariously doubt that the Trditional crowd would have any significant rise in numbers. The Trad. VS Modern equipment thing has seperated us enough. The AR activists will have just put another nail in the bowhunters coffin if it goes through.
The modern users don't have that big of an impact on the resourse to justify an additional season for Trads. and vise versa.

------------------
plunger.gif
elksil.jpg

The way I understand it is that they want to have a Traditional Primitive Weapon so that they can then seprate there self from the other hunters.We have a bow season now so i see no reason for the seprate bow season.Then on the Traditional muzzloader I thought we already had hunts set aside for (muzzleloader ) there reason for this is that the new muzzleloaders are now to efficient and they do not think they should be in the same class as the Traditional muzzloaders.I can see a archery season and a muzzloader season but I dont see the need for this Traditional special hunts. I see it as another way to seprate us as hunters.
The other intersesting fact about this whole thing is that by making a seprate weapon class they also want fish and game to give them the Owyhee county unit's for there hunt's. Units--40,41 ,42. So they would do away with the general two-point season and also cut back on the late season draw's in those unit's.I think we need to take a real close look at this and decide what we want to happen,as it is more then lets just give them a different weapon class.The whole owyhee unit thing had me going.
One other thing it just so happens that commisioner Clower hunts with a long bow ( he is the backer of this bill)and alot of the people that are in the deerhunters of Idaho also would like to see some changes in these unit's(as in Black Powder hunts)
If you live near these units you know something needs to be done to help get these areas back to producing bigger bucks but I am not sure this is it.Look at it real close before you decide and see what you are giving up and what you are getting.I am still not sure.

------------------
Debbie

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back