Idaho South Hills vs Pioneer zone (archery)

JWhunter

I am looking at hunting either unit 56 or unit 50/36a for elk and deer this fall. I only have time to come home from college over Labor Day Weekend. I am starting to scout a little. But I was wondering if anyone could share their past experience in either unit. I just want some input of what you would do if you were in my shoes.... I mean which unit would you choose to hunt??? Thanks for your time.

Hard to say. The Pioneer has lots of elk going for it and would probably be the way I'd lean. With a little scouting then hunting on Labor day your odds are higher to run into elk. Nearly every area with timber and water in the Pioneer will have elk. With enough scouting I'm sure 56 could be just as good. For deer? Probably a toss up. Good luck, opening day will be here soon.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the Pioneer, it just seems like it'd be way better for elk... I know both areas pretty well... Do you think that Labor is too early MtnWest... I know mid September is the way to go, but thats the only time I have to go. and Moscow is a ways away to come back every weekend.

Best odds for success will be around the 20th. You may not get a herd bull but the younger ones are aggressively looking for stray cows.

Wolves are issue in Pioneer, other than that it's a toss up

The major increase in the number of hunters due to elk populations being above objectives and good success rates are a bigger issue than wolves in the pioneers. Get a wolf tag if you hunt the pioneer zone but odds of a bull walking by in range are better than odds of a wolf sighting. Odds of running into someone or having someone come in on you are the highest. Even the spots that take some work to get to are getting hit harder than ever.

Labor day is fine, most of the time it seems worse than it actually is because the heat and bulls aren't as vocal. They will still sneak in to calls and sometimes get pretty vocal. Plus you may catch an elk that didn't get the memo that hunting season is on the first day or two. We'll usually do some calling then around 6pm sit a wallow or water source one ridge over.

Like Baerman says the third week is usually golden. If I had one week to hunt it would still be that one, though the last two years we've killed bulls opening weekend and it's starting to grow on me. It's funny, after the 10th-14th it almost seems like a different season has started.

All I know is I'm very happy to live in Idaho and get the month of Sept to ponder the pro's and cons instead of the early starts and shorter seasons some of our neighbors have.

Yeah thanks MtnWest which area would you choose 50 or 56

And Baerman what about you? just curious

I have hunted 36a the past 2 years. I have seen elk every year and some decent bulls. Most of the Elk are above 8000'. I have not seen a wolf or any sign. Not saying their not there. I think some people say the wolfs are bad in that area but have never stepped foot in that unit. Its things they read on the web that the relay in some of these forums. The elk are not very vocal even at the end of the season, That's what I have experience the past 2 years and to get a bull to work into your call you have to be right on top of him threating to take his cows. I will be back out there. As for people, I have hunted the last week and never seen a soul. We did pack in a few mile straight up. Hope this helps....

Bubba

I would go with the one I knew the best if I had opening weekend to get it done. Nothing wrong with learning new country though.

Ok ,I have been following your post,because you are a youngster in college and probably struggling for $ and have no time to scout, and labor day weekend is not the best weekend to hunt, I will help you out if you want, send me a PM in mid to late August and I will point you away from the wolves and into the last place I have seen elk before labor day weekend . All hinging on you following the no motorized hunting rules
M2h

Last edited:
JWhunter do as Jose recommends and hunt near Moscow. Plenty of great places to hunt in the Panhandle without needing to spend the money on gas to drive down south.

Very cool of you much2hunt!

I'll throw it out there that the weiser river zone or mccall zone which are much closer to you are good. Weiser river being the most consistent of the two but more crowded.

Very cool of you much2hunt!

I'll throw it out there that the weiser river zone or mccall zone which are much closer to you are good. Weiser river being the most consistent of the two but more crowded.

Agreed! You are passing a lot of great country to hunt units that you've never stepped foot in. Stats on all of the units specifically mentioned are fair and you could do well in any of them if you can find elk away from people. I would find something closer and do a couple backpack trips in the unit this summer.

Don't have to worry about me breaking motorizied rules.... I hunt on foot or horseback. and thanks for all the input...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back