MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho sets prices on Wolf Tags.

1. I'm selfish
Then you should be thankful we're (NRs) are funding your F&G department! ;) Plus, most who tag a bear/lion with their deer tag are gonna turn around and buy a deer tag again.

Late breaking news 1/26/07 BHR is wrong again:D What a fool. Where's all the rest of the guys who have been telling us this would never happen?

Gray wolves to leave endangered list

BILLINGS, Mont. - Wolves in the northern Rockies will be removed from the endangered species list within the next year, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Friday, a move that would open the population up to trophy hunting.

Federal officials are expected to announce the plan Monday, said Sharon Rose, a spokeswoman for the service. The agency also will finalize removal from the list of a separate population of wolves in the Great Lakes region.

Federal officials for months have been readying a proposal calling for Montana, Idaho and Wyoming to assume management of the 1,200-plus wolves in their states. The plan would go into effect following a yearlong comment and review period, Rose said.

If the proposal for the Rocky Mountain gray wolf skirts expected legal challenges and becomes law, it would open wolves there to trophy hunting for the first time since an intensive restoration effort began in the late 1980s. The Great Lakes wolves would be protected from public hunting for at least five years.

A similar proposal made last year to take about 4,000 wolves off the endangered list in Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin is being finalized, Rose said.

Gray wolves were virtually eliminated across the West by the 1930s following a prolonged, government-sponsored eradication effort. The animal was declared endangered in 1974, shortly after passage of the Endangered Species Act.

Federal and state biologists previously have said that each of the Rocky Mountain states would be required to maintain a minimum of 100 wolves, including 10 breeding pairs, or the animal would again come under federal protection. Before reaching that minimum, hunting restrictions would kick in if the number of breeding pairs dropped to 15.

"We have no concern about the long-term future of wolves," said Ed Bangs, coordinator of the Northern Rockies wolf recovery program for the Fish and Wildlife Service. "The numbers will remain safely above that (10 breeding pairs per state), and the states have guaranteed that."

But Jamie Rappaport Clark with Defenders of Wildlife said that with the exception of Montana, the state plans come up short.

"We are absolutely certain removing northern Rocky Mountain wolves from the endangered species list at this time will only jeopardize their continued recovery," Clark said.

Others claim the federal government is not moving fast enough. Friends of the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd, based in Montana, is seeking state assistance for a planned lawsuit to make the delisting effective immediately because wolves are preying on the elk herd and hurting its population.

Fish and Wildlife officials are still negotiating with Wyoming over its proposed management plan. Wyoming wants more latitude to kill wolves when necessary to protect livestock and wildlife.

If the dispute with Wyoming is not resolved before the Fish and Wildlife Service delisting proposal is final, federal officials have said they may exclude Wyoming from the delisting program.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070127/ap_on_re_us/wolf_delisting

Here's some of the comments we've seen on wolves from some of the HT wolf geniuses::D :D

Dangerous Dave: Well put, Hondo. Once we allowed the wolves in, we aren't going to be allowed to do anything with them -forget about ever hunting wolves- it'll never happen.
http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26795&highlight=hunt+wolves

Thoughts On Wolves has 300 posts

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26795&highlight=Thoughts+Wolves

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pa mtn man : Can't wait to hunt my first Montana Wolf. Come on Wyoming accept the plan, it's our best chance to get to hunting this year.

That will never happen. If wolves need thinin, they will bring in the pros. (professional hunters). How does a guy get a job like that anyway?

cmiddleton: when Montana and Idaho are fighting the bunny huggers in court for the next 5 yrs Wyo will have legal court findings to back its self up giving us the upper hand. don't fool yourself for a second even delisted nobody will be hunting them. it just shifts the expenses from the feds to the states. this will be tied up in courts for years to come thanks to the liberal tree huggers.

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29219&page=6

So let me get this straight,in potatoe head land you can shoot a bear or a lion and tag it with a deer tag then turn around and buy another deer tag?Dont you just have bear or lion tags? Something tells me the eye in ho state is bound to screw up delisting for the rest of us! How about having a quota system so it does'nt sound like a free for all on the mutts.

I don't like it for two reasons: 1. I'm selfish, I can't use my deer tag to shoot a bear or a lion. 2. It just makes no sense, I know the basis of it is to reduce lion and bear numbers in some units where they are believed to be impacting deer and elk herds; but isn't that why their are bear and lion tags in the first place? To use for those species?

We can't just give wolf tags out for free, thats stupid and would hurt the ability to get them off the list. How do you think those that will fight the delisting would look at free tags?

Come on Tone. You don't need to use YOUR deer tag for a bear or cougar. Being a resident, you can buy a tag for each of those species dirt cheap. Most non-residents are not going to buy a bear or cougar tag at the non-resident price just on the small chance they might see one. That's the reason for the state of Idaho allowing them to use the deer tag. And, if they use their deer tag, that's one less deer that's going to get killed. That's a win-win situation for you residents. Allowing the deer tag to be used for wolves makes just as much sense as using it for bear or cougars. But you are right in that the wolf lovers may not like that idea. But who cares what they want? I'm sure it won't ever be that way because of the complaints they would get. But, to say it doesn't make sense, doesn't make sense. ;)

Like I said, I understand the basis behind it, just don't care much for it. Its one of my few minor complaints about game laws in this state. Its just kind of a weird one, nothing more, nothing less. Personally I do care what the wolf huggers think because at this point they stand to be the only thing between them being off the list. Litigation will come from them and it will be a lot easier to deal with the lawsuits if all the ducks are in a row on the delsting side.

Pointer-Thanks for paying high non-res prices to keep mine down :p We may have to rendevous this year for some kind of hunt.

Yeah I realize they have to keep the wolf lovers happy. I just think allowing a deer tag to be used for cougar or bear is just about the most brilliant idea any state has ever had. ;) I wish other states that have too many bears/cougars would do the same. Either that or simply sell the bear and cougar tags to non-residents at resident prices. Which is another thing Idaho does, is in certain units with high bear populations, I know a non-resident can get a bear tag for about $30. Idaho has some great game laws, and if I lived there I would like them even more. JMO

Tone- No worries. I plan on making a few donations to ID this year. Once I get the draws figured out, lets see if we can meet up.

Bet this part chaps Schmalt's lower extremities......

"If the proposal for the Rocky Mountain gray wolf skirts expected legal challenges and becomes law, it would open wolves there to trophy hunting for the first time since an intensive restoration effort began in the late 1980s. The Great Lakes wolves would be protected from public hunting for at least five years."

Glad our game departments aren't that slow to react. Which way is better? Play patty cake like Minnesota/Michigan/Wisconsin, or play "hardball" like Wyoming? Hmmmmmmm.............

You've got to separate MN from WI/MI. MN is on track for delisting, not WI/MI. That is why the GL plan failed last time. The states have to be dealt with separately, just like ID, MT and WY. Besides, we've got more wolves in MN than all 3 of the western states combined. Always had em. The 5 year wait was put in voluntarily by the states because, well, we don't think the sky is falling over a few mangy mutts.

Dont really matter. Once they are delisted guys will throw away the shovel and just let them lay there. Same will happen in ID as well, my guess is plenty will die without getting the overpriced tag... Just my guess. I have a hard time believing that wisconsin will be far behind since the DNR has to kill 10 percent of the wolf population every year for being problematic.
I have heard plenty of guys telling stories about funny looking oversized Yotes that dies while chasing yotes with dogs. Them dog boys sure hate them yotes and wolves. Seems that it happens a lot during the deer season as well.

Dont really matter. Once they are delisted guys will throw away the shovel and just let them lay there. Same will happen in ID as well, my guess is plenty will die without getting the overpriced tag... Just my guess. I have a hard time believing that wisconsin will be far behind since the DNR has to kill 10 percent of the wolf population every year for being problematic.
I have heard plenty of guys telling stories about funny looking oversized Yotes that dies while chasing yotes with dogs. Them dog boys sure hate them yotes and wolves. Seems that it happens a lot during the deer season as well.

What do you think will happen to all those poachers?

$256 for a non res wolf tag, that's a lot less than I thought they would be.

My mother in law is a border line animals rights wako. The other day my wife said she was off the deep end because the PETA nuts sent her some lies about the terrible wolf slaughter that was about to take place.
She doesn’t mind me killing the occasional antlered animal but if I came home with a wolf pelt, she would blow a fuse.
Count me in !

Tone, hey I see your side of it from a residents standpoint, but I think someone else pointed out that if I do happen to arrow a bear and tag him with my deer tag, then the state actually got a higher non-resident fee for that bear than if I had bought a bear tag. Idaho wins, a bear got killed and they got paid extra.

Now will I buy a wolf tag if it is a seperate tag? Most likely not, which is unfortunate as I feel that most (probably 70%) of the wolves that get killed will be by pure luck, in that very few will be killed by people who are purposely hunting them, and thats why the resident tag will be priced very reasonably so that most residents will go ahead and purchase one.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back