Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Public Hunt - First Timer

LukeMN28

Prospective Idaho Mule Deer Hunter (I'm sick of chasing whitetails with slugs in SW MN). Looking to make a drive west for rifle season. Open to controlled units as well as OTC.

Been doing a ton of research from IDFG harvest statistics, public land %s, and draw odds. Marking roads/trails in each unit's public land and reading topo's til my eyes cross.

I've picked out a few units that have caught my eye - would be curious if anyone else has any pointers for a first timer?

28, 36A/B, 51, 53, 71, 74, 76

Appreciate the help!

I hunted Idaho last fall. The 70s units were hit by a bad winter in 2018-2019 and had drought conditions beforehand. I'm not saying there is not deer but it may be tough to locate a buck that is better than a 2x2. I looked heavily into 36/51. the harvest data there shows that mule deer to whitetail ratio is about 50/50. I've heard the wolves have had their way with the big game in the area but I'm not certain. I hunted 56 in 2019, we covered some serious ground both by roads and boot leather we glassed a lot off of high points and turned up very few deer. Up until the 3rd day, we had seen more bull moose than buck deer. Id hunt 51/36 before Id hunt 56 again and that taking in the wolf effect. hope this helps feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

I hunted Idaho last fall. The 70s units were hit by a bad winter in 2018-2019 and had drought conditions beforehand. I'm not saying there is not deer but it may be tough to locate a buck that is better than a 2x2. I looked heavily into 36/51. the harvest data there shows that mule deer to whitetail ratio is about 50/50. I've heard the wolves have had their way with the big game in the area but I'm not certain. I hunted 56 in 2019, we covered some serious ground both by roads and boot leather we glassed a lot off of high points and turned up very few deer. Up until the 3rd day, we had seen more bull moose than buck deer. Id hunt 51/36 before Id hunt 56 again and that taking in the wolf effect. hope this helps feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
Very helpful - thanks for the info!

Good luck in 36.... huge country and very few roads, 3 or 4 wilderness areas in there. 51 I’ve hunted a while back, didn’t have a lot of deer but some, I was hunting elk.
Matt

The central portion of the state has good deer hunting opportunities. In rifle season, unit 36A/B, 43, 48, and 49 are all good units. They have a lot of public land and hold good deer if your willing to put in a little time and effort. I usually hunt 48 and 49 every year and have no problem finding a good buck after I get off the road a few miles.

Been there done that. The deer are there but plan to hike. The area I located deer were consistently found 3 miles from the nearest rd at about 6,000’. Idaho is rugged, steep, but rewarding. Good luck.

Welcome to the board. I'm in Cottage Grove on the south east side of the cities. My first western hunt was Idaho as well 3 years ago. Train your ass off this summer, Idaho is beautiful and steep.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back