Idaho or Montana Spring Black Bear

Planning a spring bear, spot and stock no bait. Which would you choose as better opportunity at black bear encounters? I'm not partial to either one, just looking for opinions. I'm also not looking for unit info, just opinion on which state you prefer if you've hunted there.

MM

Planning a spring bear, spot and stock no bait. Which would you choose as better opportunity at black bear encounters? I'm not partial to either one, just looking for opinions. I'm also not looking for unit info, just opinion on which state you prefer if you've hunted there.

MM
Idaho has better bears.....

So what you guys are saying is whatever state you’re not hunting. Got it! Thanks for the help 😉
I'd go Idaho, having taken spring bears in both states, and having no dog in this fight.

My sample size is small, n=2 in MT and N=1 in ID, but I saw way more bears in Idaho. 🤷‍♂️

Go watch the Randy’s show with all the Hunt Talkers hunting Montana together for bear! You might be able to join the group.

Probably just throw a dart partner and go. I've been fortunate to take a few over the years but routinely I see better bears come from further west.

Either state I'm sure you'll have fun. Spring spot and stalk is a pretty damn good time no matter where your at....

Good luck.

I think it would be hard for most folks to offer an informed opinion without a little more info, i.e. where you're coming from (driving in or flying in), what kind of hunt you prefer (day hunting, backpack hunt), what kind of terrain or access you're looking for/at, etc. Montana is exclusively S&S, whereas Idaho has a little bit of everything. Tag prices are about the same, or within $25-50 of each other (unless you want to hunt a reduced tag unit in Idaho). The other thing to consider is - how ya feel about bumping into a grizz?

Backpack in? I think you really should be thinking more about the type of terrain you want to hunt.
I worry about the important stuff like what i am grilling and how many cases i need to pack. We keep our bear hunts fun and low stress, some decent hikes mixed in but not that hard. Aint nothing like spring bear weather, some days you see all four seasons.

Back