Idaho free for all!

Iowahunter04

Hello,

I'm relatively new to hunt talk, but love the amount of information everyone is willing to share with one another...
My buddy and found out how awesome Idaho is in supporting disabled vets and decided to ditch CO this season and come see what Idaho has to offer.
With that said, can anyone help point me in a direction of a unit that is just plentiful with a variety of animals to hunt?
We will have muley, bear, and wolf tags. Maybe pronghorn if we can get a tag.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I use idahos DAV tags every year, I call G&f and try to thank them every year also for doing it. Welcome to hunt talk

I use idahos DAV tags every year, I call G&f and try to thank them every year also for doing it. Welcome to hunt talk
Are the Dav tags pretty easily navigated? I assume they're general season tags, or can you do preference points with them also?
Thanks

You should call the fish and game and ask some pointed questions. I think you need to show a written letter from the VA stating you percent of disability. Here is the contact to call, https://idfg.idaho.gov/contact They may accept a disabled license from another state to qualify, but you'll have to ask them. The Boise Regional Office is usually the most busy, so maybe try another office.

Take a close look at harvest statistics on the IDFG website. Look under the general any weapon seasons. There are units where the bear harvest and the mule deer harvest line up pretty well. Skip unit 39 if you don't want too much company.

For whatever reason there are units with great muley hunting and very few bears and vice versa. The northern half of the state has great bear hunting and more white tails. The extreme southern part has great muley hunting and the bears thin out. The central part of the state offers a good sweet spot, but there are a lot of crowds in the general season and some country is nearly impossible to access without horses or air travel (Frank Church/White Cloud Wilderness areas). A lot of good hunting in the "front country" where the sage brush foot hills transition to timber and alpine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back