Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho Elk Zone 36-1

maconuswett

Greetings all,

I am looking at picking up a left over cow rifle tag for zone 36-1, OCT 1-9. Through no fault of our own, we (4 people) missed the opportunity to get OTC tags for our usual zone (23) north of McCall but we still want to get out there and chase elk and mule deer. We have experience in the back country with most of us in good to decent shape physically. We'll have a Jeep, a 4 runner and an ATV to get where we need to go if there is a road.

With that, anyone have experience in this zone? Its basically both sides of 75 south of Stanley. From the research I've done on the hunt planner, all the roads are seasonal whether its Auto, Jeep or ATV. I talked with the local office, was told most people road hunt (ie: drive, look, park and hike) vice hike in and set up a base camp (which is what we normally do) and go out from there.

I know its last second, but we were dealt the hand we got (limited time to take leave, coordinating military schedules with hunting seasons, etc) and we want to make the most of the situation. Any info would be great. Not looking for secret honey holes. More what to expect and recommendations. I'll pay it back in spades should someone want to or be going to VA to hunt whitetail deer. Ill be going out next weekend to take a look and get a lay of the land.

Thanks

Just an update for anyone who may have read this, we are going to take our chances and try to pick these tags up. Better to be in the woods than sitting at home!

Anyone have any recommendations on the cow population in zone 36 or that area? If anyone needs help with Zone 23, I'd be glad to reciprocate information. Had some good spots we were going to get into this year.

How did this hunt turn out for you? I drew the tag as well, but wasn’t able to go due to work obligations. I hunted mule deer a week after near that area and saw loads of elk, hardly any deer

How did this hunt turn out for you? I drew the tag as well, but wasn’t able to go due to work obligations. I hunted mule deer a week after near that area and saw loads of elk, hardly any deer

Overall, it was an awesome trip. We spent 6 days out there, saw over 3 dozen elk, just couldn't seal the deal on one. Lots of areas for long range glassing. One day we glassed a herd at 9500' elevation, 2.5 miles away. We were at 8000' and started the trek. As we made our way there, they went on the other side of the ridge. As we were making our way to the top, 2 cows appeared 250 yards in front of us. I was scoped in and drawing breath to pull the trigger when they bolted. We found the 3 hours later, another ridge over and at 9500", but not enough time to get there before dark. The next day we found them in a valley of trees and snow at 8000' within a mile of where we first had them. We were already 4 miles in and make our trek down to get closer. We got within 400 yards, of the cows before they went out of the area. If it would have been bull season, I could have taken a 5x4 and 4x4 who were within 200 yards. The next day was horrible weather, snow, wind, everything. We located the herd the following day about 2 miles from where we first found them. We made our way there and by the time we got there they were no where to be found.

All in all, I'll be going back to do this hunt again next year. We ran into a fair amount of hunters driving past our camp and it was 50/50 if they got one. We were the only people in our hunt area. Speaking of Muleys, we had 4 come walking by at 200 yards from camp on the day of the bad weather. We also saw probably 6-8 more while we were hiking to and from spots. This includes a massive buck. We did over 50 miles of hiking, in what was really 4 days of hunting since one day was a wash and the first day was spent setting up camp and glassing for the evening.

Learned a ton, had a blast and got to spend good time in the woods friends. Can't ask for much more than the fresh meat to cook over a fire.

Overall, it was an awesome trip. We spent 6 days out there, saw over 3 dozen elk, just couldn't seal the deal on one. Lots of areas for long range glassing. One day we glassed a herd at 9500' elevation, 2.5 miles away. We were at 8000' and started the trek. As we made our way there, they went on the other side of the ridge. As we were making our way to the top, 2 cows appeared 250 yards in front of us. I was scoped in and drawing breath to pull the trigger when they bolted. We found the 3 hours later, another ridge over and at 9500", but not enough time to get there before dark. The next day we found them in a valley of trees and snow at 8000' within a mile of where we first had them. We were already 4 miles in and make our trek down to get closer. We got within 400 yards, of the cows before they went out of the area. If it would have been bull season, I could have taken a 5x4 and 4x4 who were within 200 yards. The next day was horrible weather, snow, wind, everything. We located the herd the following day about 2 miles from where we first found them. We made our way there and by the time we got there they were no where to be found.

All in all, I'll be going back to do this hunt again next year. We ran into a fair amount of hunters driving past our camp and it was 50/50 if they got one. We were the only people in our hunt area. Speaking of Muleys, we had 4 come walking by at 200 yards from camp on the day of the bad weather. We also saw probably 6-8 more while we were hiking to and from spots. This includes a massive buck. We did over 50 miles of hiking, in what was really 4 days of hunting since one day was a wash and the first day was spent setting up camp and glassing for the evening.

Learned a ton, had a blast and got to spend good time in the woods friends. Can't ask for much more than the fresh meat to cook over a fire.

Sounds awesome. Beautiful country for sure. I’m hoping I can apply again next year as well. If a guy had a full week out there, I think you could make it happen. Thanks for sharing your story with us, sounds like a great trip!

I'm Coast Guard, one guy is Navy Reserve, another Army and the 4th is a Air Force vet. Just searching for that Marine that can put up with our offensive ways.
Are yall going up to 36-1 in 2021? Im thinking about making it my second choice. If y’all are let me know. I’m a Marine and y’all can’t offend me.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back