Idaho Elk Tags SOLD OUT

Garryowen

Wow that was fast!!

They still have deer tags for sale.

I grabbed a 2nd elk tag.

Not gonna slow down anytime soon, unless the economy slows. Especially with Idaho possibly being the last state with a true “gas station” tag available to NR’s.

Do they usually sell out? I don't pay close attention b/c I've usually got a pocket full of tags from other places before the Idaho draw.

Have you seen the fee increase proposal?

I'm torn, as my day job is to analyze "market value", and understand that Idaho has provided the best value to NR's among
probably all of the western states.

But I also don't want the working man to be priced out of a fun hunt with their family. It's tricky. If those proposals are approved,
I still think it will sell 95% as fast due to the economy. And the fact that it could be the last legitimate OTC elk tag in the west
(not sure if CO went through with their deal or not?).

Even at those proposed prices, it's still one of the best deals for NR's.
  • A legitimate OTC tag, you buy it over. the. counter. (or online these days)
  • No draw
  • No applying for a "general tag" BS
  • Doesn't require 0 to 2 points
  • No leftover, crossing your fingers BS.
  • Won't be staring at your On-X all day during rifle season
  • Routinely producing 180+ bucks and 320+ bulls in some of these units
That, in my mind, is value. It's still cheaper than MT, no draw like WY. It will continue to sell quickly if the economy holds.

Oregon NR elk is under 600 and has a lot of options. Using their website is confusing at best.

415 is a good deal on a NR elk tag. I'm sure ID would love to find ways to squander the revenue from increased tag fees.
The deer tag tag's a good value too. MT is retarded expensive unless you're retired and can hunt the massively long seasons then it's a good entertainment value.

Whoa, >50% increase in non-res elk tag cost plus the license cost increase!
Ouch! I was considering Idaho in the future for the opportunity to get both a deer and elk tag at a reasonable price. At those prices, though, they’ll have priced me out of the competition. I still feel they have a lot to offer...just too expensive for me. I’ll go places closer to home with less expensive tags.

Ouch! I was considering Idaho in the future for the opportunity to get both a deer and elk tag at a reasonable price. At those prices, though, they’ll have priced me out of the competition. I still feel they have a lot to offer...just too expensive for me. I’ll go places closer to home with less expensive tags.

That’s a huge percentage increase, but the tag and license price is still comparable to most other states. I paid around $80ish I think for a Colorado qualifying license and $661 for the elk tag.

I loved my last Idaho archery elk hunt, but that fee increase is a whopper. States need to increase local costs and stop relying on non-residents to pay the bills. All the states.

Must not, because a buddy of mine kills two a year on a pretty regular basis.

I'm not sure, but there are not too many areas in Idaho that a guy can get two Elk tags. Mostly it is just a extra "X" tag or a special deprivation hunt, and mainly in northern Idaho I think. At least I'm not aware of any others.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back