Idaho deer?

Bigmo58

So I am wanting to do an otc deer hunt in Idaho this fall and know very little about the state. I would like to hunt around Pocatello. Have any of you had experience in that area who could help a guy out?

Southeast Idaho mule deer numbers are down - I'd head farther west or northwest. May sell out before July 3rd.

Last edited:
There was a severe winter kill dramatically reducing deer numbers a few years ago. If you just want to border hop drive towards the west side of the State or hunt just above Bear Lake in the sagebrush for surviving yearling bucks. If you are willing to drive the whitetail population is booming up North.

Thats interesting. I will be heading to 73 this year. We shall see how it goes.

I was looking at the harvest stats - going to add 46, 52A, 56 to the list and subtract 36A. 52A is in lava flows and is nearly flat desert, but can't call it flat because all the depressions. Plenty of places for a big buck to hide. Cool country, thought about hunting a day or two just to hunt unique country. A good area for a couple of old guys.

Unit 73 only shot 56 bucks last year. 67 the year before.

SE Idaho will be a challenge for reasons mentioned above, especially near a population center like Pocatello. You'll have tons of pressure from locals hunting a severely diminished population of deer.

I did some serious scouting in that area, even rescued a couple of old fart who had a flat in the middle of nowhere and got a marked up map. In the end quite a bit of private land was an issue for me.

My wife and I will be meat hunting. Also first year hunting the area not expecting the world. Challenges are always good I guess. Maybe 58 bucks this year since my wife and I have tags.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back