Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho Controlled Units

For those of you more familiar with Idaho( I've hunted around the Pahsimeroi and Salmon) where would be an area you would focus in on for trying to draw on a controlled hunt? I'm taking my teenage son with me that will be backpacking with me and has gotten bigger and stronger faster than I ever thought possible. He'll be 14 then so we'll probably pick up an elk tag for him too, I'm personally not interested in chasing and packing out an elk, but for him I'd be willing to haul one off the mountain. I'm from out East so boots on the ground scouting is not an option, and just starting the process to narrow down our hunting areas. If we fail at the draw we will just go over the counter and hunt the general areas.

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

MM

Perhaps a little clarification:

Your primary focus is a controlled deer hunt of high quality.

If possible you’d like to have an elk tag draw or OTC in the same unit/zone?

Is that a fair understanding of the question?

No smart ass intended w/ these follow up questions:

Have you looked at the 2020 regs yet to see what hunts are available and what gets you close from a date perspective.

Are you archery, rifle, muzzle loader?

Whitetail or Mulie? If coming west, I assume Mule Deer.

Any other requirements?

Looking for higher odds deer, not necessarily high trophy potential. My son’s first trip to the mountains, so any deer other than a forkie would be good but would like him to have the opportunity to see plenty of animals. This will be a rifle hunt, and yes it would be nice to get an OTC tag for an elk too, but doesn’t have to be in the same unit necessarily. If we get a buck down in a few days we’ll hit the road and maybe hunt elsewhere, our primary focus will be deer and elk thrown in because the tag is relatively cheap for someone his age.

Nonresident
• Nonresident youth ages 10 to 17, who possess a nonresident junior mentored hunting license, must be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years of age or older and be close enough to be within normal conversation or hearing range without shouting or the aid of electronic devices. The licensed adult must have a current year tag which is valid for the same species, and may hunt while participating in the mentored hunting program. The licensed adult may not accompany more than two youth at a time. A tag that has already been filled still meets the tag possession requirement.

• Nonresident youth ages 12 to 17, who possess a full price hunting license are not required to follow the “accompanied by” rule in the field

From the way I read this if you buy a youth elk tag you will also need to buy one as well or find someone to hunt with. This is on Page 113 of the Big game rules.

I spoke with a biologist last year and he actually made the suggestion that I get him an elk tag too. That is odd.

Draw mulie hunts - Most units have Nov. hunts - tough to to draw - 14 and 18 have draws that are a little easier. 54, 55, 57 are good draws too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back