Idaho controlled hunts

muley chaser

So i'm not super new to the forum but i haven't been posting much and was wondering if any of you Idaho guys have any good ideas for drawing a good mule deer tag? I'm a junior at Borah high school in Boise and have been hunting every season since i could walk with my dad. So far I've been 0-5 on controlled hunts which has been pretty frustrating to say the least. Anyone have some good ideas for drawing a tag with a decent shot at a mature buck? Hunting general season almost got me a 27" four point (thanks down hill shots) but i'm hoping to finally get the old wall hanger to really kick off my mule deer success with a bang.

I spent close to 15 years putting in for a couple of real hard to get tags. I finally gave up trying to "hit the grand slam" and started applying for a couple of draws that had better odds. If you are willing to work hard in those zones you should be able to find some respectable bucks and you can hunt for them every few years instead of just waiting for a mythical "golden ticket". General tag zones also have some very good bucks if you get off the beaten path. Pick a couple of zones and get to know them intimately. Spend a couple weeks in late summer figuring out the deer in each of those zones and you may soon find you are able to get a wall hanger out of the general zones as well. Good Luck and happy hunting.

I spent close to 15 years putting in for a couple of real hard to get tags. I finally gave up trying to "hit the grand slam" and started applying for a couple of draws that had better odds. If you are willing to work hard in those zones you should be able to find some respectable bucks and you can hunt for them every few years instead of just waiting for a mythical "golden ticket". General tag zones also have some very good bucks if you get off the beaten path. Pick a couple of zones and get to know them intimately. Spend a couple weeks in late summer figuring out the deer in each of those zones and you may soon find you are able to get a wall hanger out of the general zones as well. Good Luck and happy hunting.
+1. I got lucky and drew a couple of controlled hunt tags last year. Though, with the help of a local, my biggest buck (I think) was taken on a general tag. Therefore, I wholly support the above mentioned strategy. Don't try for the premier units, but those with a bit better odds and really get to know a couple of general units. Good luck!

PS- I was way more than 0-5 before I finally drew...

Hunting general season almost got me a 27" four point (thanks down hill shots) but i'm hoping to finally get the old wall hanger to really kick off my mule deer success with a bang.

Get to know a general unit or two really well. Obviously you've had luck of almost putting a good one on the wall. As young as you are put in for the trophy draws and get those out of the way and focus on general tags. If I could go back in time this is what I would do.

Guys are giving you great advice. You're in Idaho and young so put in for tags you can get and then work hard in general areas closer to home if you don't draw. You'll learn a lot by being in the field and gaining experience.
Put in for draw tags wherever you can afford so when you're in the workforce later in life you'll have some opportunities out there to cash in on multiple times.
Good luck and it's great to see some young guys getting in the game.

Well since you live in Boise, I take it you mainly weekend hunt in one the the OTC units within an hour drive of Boise? I would put in on CH with draw chance being 10% or higher in units that offer it. If you draw, spend as much time in that unit as possible in the summer and early fall. I've drawn 4 tags for mule deer since I was 13. 19 years later, I have learned hard lessons on not scouting first hand and coming home empty handed. So i seem to draw tags 10%+ every 5 years or so.

Drawing the tag may seem like the easy part, but if you don't know the unit your applying for or are willing to learn it, then you may regret drawing the tag in the first place. The tags I drew I was holding out for what I consider a Idaho typical 4pt+, 22-25 inches wide with decent forks or a nontypical unique buck.

Good luck on your quest to shoot a mature Idaho mule deer.

54,55,47, and 44 are probably the best considering the drawing odds and trophy class bucks

Get to know a general unit or two really well. Obviously you've had luck of almost putting a good one on the wall. As young as you are put in for the trophy draws and get those out of the way and focus on general tags. If I could go back in time this is what I would do.

This is a good point. Odds of drawing the OIL's will likely only get worse and you can at least hunt deer and elk on a general tag every year. You don't need a controlled hunt tag to find a respectable critter.

Hopefully 40 and 41 are good units? I put in for these two this year, I usually only put in for 11 late hunt but being a non res those odds were terrible. Good luck this year guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back