Idaho Archery Deer

jlong17

Hey fellow Hunt Talkers! My wife and I (and our 9 month old daughter) will be visiting family in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho later this year. I just picked up a bow this winter to begin preparing for a fall CO OTC Elk hunt. I then got to thinking that maybe while I am out in Idaho prior to my elk hunt, I can try and hunt deer during the early archery season? I have experience hunting deer in my home state of CA (Please don't withhold comments/advice because I'm a Californian haha), but I have never harvested an animal with a bow. Does anyone have some pointers or advice they're willing to share with me. I'm looking at hunting near Hayden, but will go anywhere in the Panhandle Unit that offers me my best odds at providing meat for the family! Thanks in advance...

You just started shooting a bow this winter so that you can archery hunt an OTC elk this fall in CO and possibly deer in N. ID? Wow!

My suggestion would be to hunt hogs in your home state, multiple times in the next 5 months, to get some bowhunting experience under your belt.

You just started shooting a bow this winter so that you can archery hunt an OTC elk this fall in CO and possibly deer in N. ID? Wow!

My suggestion would be to hunt hogs in your home state, multiple times in the next 5 months, to get some bowhunting experience under your belt.

I'm not interested in hunting something I have no desire in eating... Like I stated in my post- I have deer hunting experience, and have harvested animals with my rifle. I am simply looking to increase opportunities by picking up the bow:) Maybe I am being too ambitious... but I do know sitting at home watching reruns of Fresh Tracks isn't going to put meat in my freezer hahaha! I have a ton of respect for the sport and I know it will be a lifelong task of learning how to become better, so hopefully I'm not coming across as someone who thinks they could show up to the woods with a bow and follow the signs that say "the deer are over here, come and take this easy 10 yard shot"! 😂 I have enough experience to know that is simply not the case...

Do you have any pointers relevant to N ID deer hunting? Thanks!!

North ID is said to be the toughest hunting for the state. But I never pass an opportunity to go hunting, no matter what it is. I'd look for Access YES areas and some trailheads and use it as a learning experience that you could build on for future visits.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back